Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo ZooUpdates

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 9 Nov 2006.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

even better, Australia zoo is also holding three cotton tops

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Well maybe they are making teh zoo down tehre better there are now Macaques, Palm Sqirrels and hopefully tamarins

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Alma Park zoo in Brisbane has several tamarin species. i'm fairly sure that there are cotton tops, an emperor and maybe some pygmy.

4. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Which zoo in Hobart, Zoo Boy? Do you know?

5. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

darling downs zoo

what about the national zoo and aquarium in canberra, or crocodylius park in the northern territory. they both hold tamarins and marmosets. also in new zealand there are a number of smaller zoos holding tamarin and marmoset species. maybe rockhampton zoo and coffs harbour too have them too? coffs had them a few years ago...
    there are plenty of smaller zoos out there that seem to have these guys in their collections. in the future darling downs zoo might have some too. check out their website. although basic this could be another mogo in the making!!!

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

no idea, it may just be a native aprk wanting to expand

7. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

All the tamarins species are all managed in the region, and only zoos that are ARAZPA members would be able to get them from Mogo. I was curious about zoos in Hobart holding exotic species.

Also, I was out at Monarto this weekend. They certainly have no plans of importing African elephants, nor Asians for that matter, as they don't have the budget. Holding African Elephants was a whim of the previous director, and is just not going to happen.

8. Zoo_Boy

hay zoo pro, *removed by moderator*

9. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Hey zoo boy. *removed by moderator*

10. Zoo_Boy

sorry that sounded offensive, no offence meant,

*removed by moderator*

11. Zoo_Boy

ADELAIDE'S giraffes have only two years left at the city zoo.

Picture gallery: animals in the zoo

They then will move to Monarto where, a few years later, they may be joined by elephants in a growing, free-range, large animal environment.

Bears, hippos and lions will remain in the city zoo and many new primates will arrive as the state's two zoos "reinvent" themselves. They have even coined a new name, Zoos SA, which encompasses Adelaide and Monarto.

"We are all very excited about our new beginnings," said Kevin Evans, director of Conservation Programs for Zoos SA.

The first change will be a massive new interactive education and interpretative centre on the site of the old ape houses in the Adelaide Zoo - the first of its kind in the country.

"It is a bit of a cross-over museum and zoo experience," Mr Evans said.

The project is expected to cost $2 million, $500,000 of which has been provided by the government. The rest is being raised by corporate sponsorship and donation.

"Monarto also is re-inventing itself," said Mr Evans. "Within the last 12 months, we have introduced a massive walking trail, called the Zoo Loop, which allows people to stop and walk around animal enclosures, go on elevated boardwalks over 100m long at giraffe head height and interact with the animals.

"At Monarto, we have ambitions to display elephants and it is probably one of the best facilities in the country to do so."

It would be up to 10 years before the zoo could afford the cost of infrastructure and staff.

AdelaideNow... Zoo's big stars are going bush

12. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I'm not showing Ben any disrespect, just correcting a mistake that may have been made. I'm not knocking him, just correcting a statement that was made in another posting on here. I'm sure we'd all like the information on this site to be factual, wouldn't we?

Adelaide Zoo is already one of the better zoos in the region, and with the new organisational structure, and new senior management, both Adelaide and Monarto will continue to improve.

13. Zoo_Boy

have a read of tht last post i just found a news article. nov 2nd for those of you playing at home.

14. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yes i am Infact an Education Volunteer, sorry Zoo_Boy if you have been confused, i was told by an Education opfficer at Monarto about teh Elephants, ZooPro, i take no offence to any comment you make, you are a very knowledgable person, and i am proud to have to correct anything i may have stated that may be incorrect

I am not great friends with chris I see chris regualarly and talk to him alot

15. Zoo_Boy

i was defending you, jeez

16. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i think the point is Zoo_Boy, that he didn't need defending since nobody was attacking him.....

17. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I have asked sim to delete all post regarding this and i woudl appreciate it if everyoen dropped the subject, Thanks

18. Zoo_Boy

sorry guys i thought i was sticking up for a mate but obviopusly i blew it out of water dont worry then ill shut up

19. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

ha ha ha how funny

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What red tape. That's crazy. The gorillas are part of the EEP and owned by Apenheul Zoo in Holland. If anything not the Oz govt but EEP coordinator in Apeldoorn will decide where the gorillas in Oz zoos will go to next! I see this as just another example how federal government interfere in the business of captive-breeding of endangered species and exposing red tape of the wrong kind!