Join our zoo community

ZSL Inspection Reports

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by WildlifeOnline, 22 Feb 2016.

1. WildlifeOnline

WildlifeOnline Member

Hi folks,

I was recently searching through some news sites, doing research for an article for my website, and came across the article in The Independent, published in October 2010, that talked about foxes killing penguins at London Zoo in 2009. Reading the article, and other references made to it by other newspapers, it seems that the ZSL published an “inspection report” in 2010 detailing this and other incidents. It wasn't entirely clear from the press coverage whether the attacks on the penguins, mara and flamingo mentioned in the article all relate to London, or whether some ocurred at Whipsnade. (I know from a thread elsewhere on ZooChat that foxes have been a problem at both.) Co-incidental to this, in their 2001 book Urban Foxes, Harris and Baker make reference to a (dubious, given the size of both species?) report of a fox seen walking down a road carrying a flamingo, but give no more specifics than that. If that incident was in London, I guess London Zoo is the most likely place for the fox to have obtained a flamingo?

I've had a look through the ZSL website and done the usual Googling, but can't find a copy of this inspection report online anywhere. Does anyone know whether these reports are available to the public? Also, do the ZSL conduct these ‘inspections’ on an annual basis, or only in response to specific problems?

Cheers,
    Marc.

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

Official zoo inspections are carried out by approved zoo inspectors on behalf of the local council, usually every 6 years prior to the renewal of the zoo's licence. Try looking on the Westminster council's website.

Alan

3. WildlifeOnline

WildlifeOnline Member

Thanks Alan. I'll take a look.

Incidentally, do you know how it works with zoo licences? If these inspections are carried out by the council, I presume ZSL have to apply separately for a licence for their premises in London and Dunstable (Whipsnade), being in different jurisdictions, rather than ZSL being issued a single zoo licence and this permitting them to run more than one UK zoo?

Cheers,
    Marc.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's right.
    All the details about the zoo licensing system are available on the DEFRA website. Start here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/zoo-inspections

Alan

5. Wieselkind

Wieselkind Member

I've tried looking on the website for the reports before and not had any luck.

However, I'm pretty sure I've seen copies pinned up at the entrance to the Zoo, I will have a look next time I am there.

Yes, inspections are done by the respective councils, plenty of good info about it on the Government site, I think the Biaza site covers it a little as well.