Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shirokuma, 28 Feb 2010.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I quite like the idea of naming animals after scientists who have worked with the species. London do this sometimes- they have done it with Black Rhinos in the past as well.

I much prefer it to more 'gimmicky' names or those of current media(or even worse, popstar) celebrities. Sometimes the animal is then landed with its name long after the originator has lost popularity.

2. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

By the way (on another topic), the other female African hunting dog is pregnant, so fingers crossed this time. There is also a new baby slender loris, and the hummingbirds are nesting (don't ask me which one/s, that's all the info I had).

3. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

i wish you would make new threads on these things, much easier to follow:D

4. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

i know the make okapi at london is called mbuti but not sure if its named after the people of ituri forrest or the 1st captive okapi who was called mbuti, having said that im sure he was named after them!

5. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Sorry, sorry, I thought it came under "London Zoo developments". I will start a new thread if there's any more news.

6. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

ah ok maybe your right but i thought the thread was started about the tigers development but it was your thread so your rules! :p just think info could be easily lost in the thread if we got lots of subjects going at once

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Good news all, particularly the latter two. Good to know the lorises haven't been disturbed during the alterations in the Clore and are carrying on regardless!

8. Pertinax

Volvox's Thread here is called LONDON ZOO DEVELOPMENTS (not Tiger developments) so Volvox and others are perfectly correct to add news about anything going on at London on here. To start yet another thread just on a minor news item such as the Hunting Dog pregnancy, just creates yet more threads for people to miss.

9. Pertinax

Please don't..;) you are doing the right thing posting london news in this 'umbrella' thread you have made.

10. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Whew... glad I'm doing the right thing after all... I thought I was!... will keep you posted.

11. BillyT

BillyT Well-Known Member

i didnt say they was incorrect!!!!!
    why not scrape all the threads and just have one called zoo?

12. Pertinax

You queried putting more/different information on this thread, I'm just commenting that Volvox was putting it(IMO) in the right place.

If you start a thread everytime there is a small bit of news, like mention of a Hunting Dog pregnancy you will produce many threads, all from London Zoo, to sort through. If its a bigger piece of news then obviously its a good idea to start a new thread to draw attention to it, as it will probably get a lot of responses.

13. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

Now it's been established that other news is OK... was down there the other day. Colobus and pygmy hippos VERY lively: lots of playfighting and chasing going on. The komodo dragons are currently in together and attempting to mate. The penguin pool is still as it was, but what was the gift shop next door has now been cleared out, presumably ready for work to commence. There seems to be quite a bit of work going on in the aquarium too.

14. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Found some more info on that penguin tale....seems it's deffinitely an urban myth:

snopes.com: Penguin Backpack Abduction

15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd forgot about SNOPES which I have used before:eek:

16. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

There's now a page about the new exhibit on their website, with new concept art:

Penguin Beach

17. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Ah, planning permission must have come through at last, that's good. And I can confirm that it will be Humboldt and macaroni penguins with possibly a third species; and that all the current black-footed penguins will go to Whipsnade, including, eventually, the few that are now in the "African" aviary (which last week had no birds in as the heavy snow had brought down part of the netted roof!). Not sure what will happen to Ricky the rockhopper; perhaps he'll go to Whipsnade too.

18. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On the ZSL website it says:-

A larger demonstration area with undercover seating turns feeding time into an even bigger spectacle than before.

Have the plans changed as I can't see anything undercover? (unless you include the trees!).

I can't see any amendments on the Westminster planning page except for old pictures of entrances / exits (which I assume they put in to demonstrate they've had exits on to the Broad Walk before!)