Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Newzooboy, 5 Jan 2013.

1. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visited today....

Thoroughly enjoyed myself, but have to say that the best of London Zoo is undoubtably it's reptile, fish and bird collection (Aquarium, Reptile House and Blackburn Pavilion).

I'm a big small mammal fan, but the Clore is just a mess these days. With the exception of Potto and Loris, all the choice species in Moonlight World are off-show (Aye-aye, Panay Cloud Rats) and the upper floor is just a balcony overlooking a load of dead and dying plants surrounded by enclosures containing common zoo species (OK, titi monkeys are always nice to see :). I happened to be in there during the 'keeper talk' and she actually said 'the reason you are hot is because you are in a rainforest' - right, a bloody dead rainforest! Why is it so many zoos succeed so well with the 'planted greenhouse with some animals' concept (often quite cheaply) while London Zoo have spent a fortune in the Clore and still can't keep the plants alive.

Obviously much breeding of Australian Water Rats too as they seemed to be in at least two enclosures. Nice though.

Hard to see much on tiger development and mostly screened off, but it's now possible to view the new Camel enclosure directly.

Tapirs off show.

Does anyone know where the Lowland Anoa were moved too (which zoo?) and what about the Francois Langur which also seemed to be gone?

Spent 2 hours in the aquarium (2 separate visits) - stood by the clownfish and listened to every single person come by and say 'oooh, look, there's Nemo'! I don't know why they dont just rename it it Nemo nemo /I] and be done with it!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'd argue the tamandua and moholi galago are both choice species too :p

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When i last visited, in August, the anoa were in the end of the giraffe house (end nearest tapirs), i dont recall reading that they had left, perhaps someone could confirm this?

4. Newzooboy

Fair enough......but quite often seen by the frequent zoo visitor....the Clore used to be a real treasure trove of unusual species.....

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Moholi Galagos are only kept in four European zoos - you have high standards for rarity! :D :D

ZootierlisteHomepage

6. Newzooboy

OK, OK :D........perhaps I'm being too harsh....I saw quite a few of these in South Africa (they are often kept as pets there) so maybe that's clouded my view a little.

Attached Files:

7. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

The Francois Langurs were there last time I looked (last week) - opposite the indoor enclosure of the tigers (Jae Jae is usually in there as Melati is in the outdoor bit while they are gradually being introduced).

Whatever you think of the Rainforest (and it's true some of the planting struggles) it is generally loved by visitors, whereas the Blackburn, which you do like, is largely ignored, which is a shame as it is delightful. The walkway in the Rainforest which you call a "balcony" is actually part of the animals' territory, and they roam through and over it so humans can be extremely close to them. Well, you know that because you were there! – but your description doesn't quite do it justice.

What did you make of the new amphibian section in reptiles? I know it's not quite finished, but it seems to be generally well-received?

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

At the moment – well, last time I looked – they have a blackboard at the door of the Blackburn listing birds bred this season and birds with chicks, so you feel you have something to look out for as you walk through. I think it's fantastic to be so close to turacos, they are just about my favourite thing in the zoo (apart from the tamandua, of course, which has been more lively and visible of late, because of the short days of winter).

10. Newzooboy

Thanks Volvox......seems I missed both the anoas and langurs. To be honest, I didnt look that closely as I only had 4 hours and 80% was spent in the Aquarium, Reptile House and Blackburn Pavilion. I didnt go into the Giraffe House but did skirt all the primate enclosures but must have just missed the langurs. Never mind, I'll be back in Feb and will look them up then.

I agree that the 'general zoo going public' do seem to like the Clore Rainforest area, it was packed when I was there. In general, this sort of 'get close to the animals' affair are usually very popular, and I think in the case of the Clore it is because it is very easy to see and get close to the animals. In the Blackburn, with the exception of a few species, you do have to be patient to see everything, and most people will keep on walking if they don't immediately see anything (just as true in the reptile house). While probably splitting hairs, the 'walkway' certainly feels like a balcony since much of the enclosure requires you to look down upon it. Maybe the idea was that the plants would grow higer to provide 'levels' but I'm not convinved this has been achieved. It just looks denuded and a bit dingy. The animals themselves (in the free-range part) are a good mix and interesting and probably dont care about the lack of foliage (and I guess this also adds to their 'viewability'). I guess its trying to work with the existing building plant-wise which has proved difficult.......as I said before, there are a very many greenhouse-based free-ranging enclosures that very successfully grow plants (many in the UK) but I would concede that most of these only contain birds and perhaps the odd sloth or bat (ie not more destructive primates).

All in all, if I would proabably be less harsh if I had encounted the Clore fresh as it now is instead of knowing it 'in its heyday'.....but there you go, sometimes its hard to let go of the past!

Amphibian area in Reptile House not quite completed but what there is looks very good with some interesting species......particularly liked the Mossy Frogs!

11. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Oh, the mossy frogs are brilliant... but as with many camouflaged animals, most visitors just glance and move on and miss them! I also like the waxy monkey frog very much, though most of the time it seems to be hiding, I've only seen it once.

The anoas have gone, by the way, though can't remember to which zoo. Their area is now part of the new tiger territory.

12. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting, I'm pretty sure I only saw them on the 29th Dec (if I'm mistaken it was at least the 15th Dec).

I'd been trying to work out where they would go exactly in the southern half of the Casson outdoor area (knowing that the tapirs were going in that area) but that puts pay to that. Does this mean that the pair of tapirs are now getting that entire outdoor southern section (as well as their modified indoor bit)?

Do you know if they've decided on any other parts of the Casson?

Regents Park had a quite large nice new river where it meets the southern part of the zoo when I last visted I imagine that's gone now! ;)

13. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Well, I'll have to look again! It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong... but where did you see them? – as they are definitely not in their original home around the back of the bird house.

Any word on what goes where in the new Casson enclosures I'll let you know, but I suspect London Zoo reserves the right to keep us guessing right up to the last minute!

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As i stated in my previous post, the anoa were moved to the giraffe house at least 6 months ago, though they may not still be there!

15. stulch

Next to the Giraffes where they've been since they moved I think I've posted some pictures here previously (it was quite some time ago) showing their inside and outside bit.

So were you under the impression they had gone to another zoo when they moved from the back of the bird house?

16. stulch

Just checked my photos from the 29th Dec, none to prove it but as I said I was pretty sure I saw them then rather than just two weeks previous.

17. stulch

For my earlier pictures see page 8 (posts 112 & 115) from June 2012 of the London zoo news 2012 thread (sorry I don't know how to link to it). 9th April 2012 one of them.

18. stulch

Seahorses

Mentioning my 29th Dec visit has reminded me I forgot to mention about the seahorses.

See the attached.

Attached Files:

19. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anoa was in the Giraffe house on the 4th of December 2012 because I cleaned out its stall while I was on a Zookeeper for a day.

20. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Hah! Definitive proof. I will try and look for them this week. I thought we were told they'd gone to another zoo fairly recently, though I could easily be misremembering.