Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sooty mangabey, 2 Jan 2014.

1. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Chinese giant salamander was on show .
    The Tiger pool had been emptied with Melati and the cubs offshow for the bulk of the day It was partially refilled by the end of the day and the cubs seemed to enjoy investigating it.
    Gorillas seemed pretty relaxed & were on show today with Mjukuu occupying a top basket so didn't really see the baby.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12 Dec 2014
  2. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

3. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice video.

Bit of a coup for London this one IMO. I wasn't planning on visiting again until the new lion exhibit opened-this, and the gorilla birth, may persuade me otherwise!

4. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Went and saw the salamander (Professor Wu) today at lunch. He is very impressive, much bigger than I had imagined!

5. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I read that the salamander is part of the 'Land of Giants' exhibit - what else is on show, and where is this?

6. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

It is next to the giant tortoises and the Komodo dragons - 'Land of the Giants' seems to be a new marketing invention to describe that part of the zoo?

7. Panthera1981

Much along the same lines as Whipsnade's Lookout Lodge, London are developing an overnight sleepover/safari experience (complete with camp and lodges). Also, part of BUGS is being redeveloped to create an "In with the Spiders" exhibit.

These are in conjunction with the development of London's "In with the Lemurs" walkthrough for 2015.

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very funny, but it's not April 1st for over 3 months!

9. Panthera1981

No joke! Looks like it'll be an extension of the "Friendly Spider" initiative. Sounds interesting to be fair.

God knows where they'll put the lodges though, with the success of the scheme at Whipsnade, it was inevitable they would come to London IMO. Who knows? Maybe they've finally found a use for the Mappins!

10. pipaluk

There is nowhere to put the lodges, it will be wasting valuable space that could be used for much needed animal enclosures!
    Whipsnade's lodges sell out, why not add more of them there, where there is plenty of space for them?!
    I go to zoos to see animals(strange concept for ZSL management to grasp I know), not admire entrance buildings, wooden huts or even expensive enclosures.
    London's development is restricted by space, but even things it could do well despite this, it fails to do.
    Why if I want to see less common small mammals do I have to go to RSCC or Hamerton? Yes , I know the Moonlight World has Slender Loris, bushbaby & Potto.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2014
  11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sure the reason the Lodges will come to London is because there's an untapped market there, whereas Whipsnade's is already established.

Of course I agree with your sentiment here entirely but nowadays Zoos seem in the business of 'diversifying' as much as possible to make themselves pay- using not just the animal collection but the grounds too for anything that will generate cash, be it safari-style sleepovers, party nights, functions etc as well as all the animal connected frills like the keeper experiences, adoptions, VIP sessions, immersive enclosures etc. Its just the times we live in I guess.:(

12. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Indeed; we do live in interesting times.

The only conceivable area that I could imagine would be on the Canal banks. I suppose somebody in marketing has advised that money might be made from this, which couldn't be achieved by putting up enclosures for animals.

I did dream quite recently that the whole of the North Bank had been turned into retail units. Was I granted a vision of the future?

13. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

"In with the spiders" will be at the back of BUGS immediately beyond of the entrance: there will be some golden orb spiders hanging in their beautiful big webs actually in the walkthrough, but in other areas there will also be other spiders "safely" behind glass for the more timid humans. It should be pretty educational... when I think of how hysterical some people (of all ages and both sexes) can get in the butterfly walkthrough... it will be interesting to see reactions!

14. Panthera1981

Aye-Aye have now returned to London, with a pair forming part of the new lemur walkthrough. Golden Lion tamarin are also returning!

The sleepover lodges will be situated on the site of the old tiger enclosure, and will form part of the new lion exhibit (Land of Lions Lodges?!?).

ZSL will also offering holidays from next year, in partnership with Exodus Travel. "ZSL Holidays" will be conservation-themed packages, focusing on ZSL's global projects. Book your sunbed now!

15. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about these holiday lodges. Yes they will be popular and no doubt be rather expensive resulting in a nice little earner for the zoo, on the other hand I could also consider them to be a waste of space, literally, the area they will occupy could be better used for what a zoo is originally intended for, exhibiting animals.

16. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Yes, it does seem a shame. Presumably they'll be empty all day too, as they're primarily for sleepovers. How nice it would be to have some other other cat species there rather than humans!

BTW London already has golden lion tamarins; there will now be a new, hopefully breeding, pair.

And if you look on the LZ facebook page, you'll see the baby Philippine crocodiles are on show at last!

17. pipaluk

I don't have mixed feelings about the lodges at London(as stated earlier), there is no doubt about it for me, they ARE a waste of valuable space that should be used to exhibit animals and preferably boost the very unimpressive carnivore 'collection'!

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only before noon on April 1st, I trust.

Alan

19. Panthera1981

They will be part of the overall exhibit, but not part of the walk-through.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If true, those will never be seen by the public I suspect ;) and technically speaking it is merely a return to display for the taxon, not a return to London.