Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sooty mangabey, 2 Jan 2014.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have just looked at the planning application papers again; unless plans have changed, there is just a single enclosure i.e. the main walk-through. Does this mean that the aye-ayes are going to be in an adjacent part of the Clore? Are they going to be on view? Are they going to be on a normal light cycle? Interesting.

I am still recovering from having my mind boggled by the idea of an aye-aye walk-through. It would be like building an aviary for emus and/or like letting school kids play darts in the National Gallery :eek:

Alan

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Everyone on here knows full well the score is with ZSL! So when will some start to understand that for zoos not receiving any benefits from the community ..., to survive / remain in the public domain they have to pay their way!

Aside, I do not see that much in building some sleep-overs next to the new ZSL lion conservation exhibit.

This and only this will ensure a long term viability for the zoo and perhaps, ... perhaps then can we realistically start to contemplate the return of new species to the London zoo site or an expansion into that portion of Regent's Park that which is still in ZSL's hands.

3. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You are correct Alan, apologies for not being more specific (I blame the mulled wine!)

However, I'd like to think an idea of a nocturnal lemur walkthrough could work just maybe not at London. Has anyone tried it, and would aye-aye work as a mixed species?

On a separate note, planning permission is currently being sought for a new ampthitheatre to replace the oversized "tent" near Barclay Court. Issues are currently concerned with the large tree coverage in the area.

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Hi all , today i was talking to a lovely lady at colchester zoo who was telling me that she used to work in a shop at London zoo. she was saying that there was plans to add Amur leopards to either London or whipsnade after the lion project was finished.

Is this just rumor or do you actually think that this could happen?

6. Panthera1981

News to me, though these would be a welcome additon to either site. Whipsnade has the space-maybe even a more favourable climate!

There have been strong rumours of snow leopard and orangutan as future additions for Whipsnade.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's a fascinating list, of course a lot of what is on there would be pipe dreams for ZSL to acquire, but of what could potentially be done I think the Chacoan peccary and Chinese pangolins would be good for ZSL to keep and work with

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As mentioned elsewhere, they wasted the perfect opportunity to build a future leopard enclosure at Whipsnade, when they chose to build the enclosure for London's lions offshow!

Last edited: 30 Dec 2014
  10. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have not …, they needed to put the Asiatics in residence somewhere! Better within the collections than outside!

12. pipaluk

I think your missing the point! If they'd built the temporary lion enclosure in an area either onshow or that could later be brought onshow, it could have been used afterwards for another species e.g leopards! Instead it was built in an area that is always likely to be inaccessible.
    I have never implied the lions shouldn't be held at Whipsnade!

13. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

I really don't want to open up a now buried can of worms, but the changes to the Lion Terraces that all agree were needed could have been done in a simpler, cheaper and quicker manner, which would have allowed crowd-pleasing Lions to remain on exhibit.

London's old Tiger exhibit would have been perfectly suitable as holding space for two or three Lions, but of course we now know that this space will be used for over- night lodges.

And London did have Amur Leopards - effectively they went so that primates that London then wished to keep (but now seem likely to go) could be given temporary accommodation.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Regarding the lodges, personally I preferred Ian's suggestion for a location, ie, the canal bank, but I don't suppose they would have the same appeal if situated there instead of slap bang in the middle of the new lion exhibit, just like the late night booze ups, they make money but at what cost?

16. pipaluk

How about IN the canal?!

17. Animal Friendly

Or even barges moored to the canal?:)

18. Animal Friendly

What about security at these lodges overnight?, people on holiday perhaps having a few drinks late at night in their cabins, what if someone then thinks it will be a good idea to get a bit closer to the lions, gorillas or go swimming with the penguins in the middle of the night?

19. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not inclined to think that this would be a problem, lodges like these tend not only to come in rather expensive but also get booked up quite a while in advance, which gives the facility a different target audience to the much-criticised 'late night booze ups' (if I may). Even if guests were to get a little rowdy, ZSL have a significant night staff who would prevent such incidents from arising.

On the other hand, I am somewhat puzzled by the decision to install lodges at Regent's Park. The most successful on-site accommodation in UK Zoos has been at slightly more remote collections such as Durrell Wildlife Park and the Aspinall Parks, as opposed to zoos with so many hotels in close proximity and such easy access from public transport. It will be interesting to see how the whole project pans out.

20. Panthera1981

Whipsnade's lodges are manned by members of staff ("Presenters") throughout the night, plus security/Main Gate staff. So, in theory, no danger of anyone wandering off in the night!

However, the advantage of the scheme at Whipsnade is that it offers a manned twilight safari and that the majority of the animals have the freedom to remain outside 24/7 if they wish. I'm not sure if you could get that at London.