Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Tim Brown, 2 Jan 2016.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Quick reminder: I do know what the benefits are of having the dinosaurs, and I also know they won't be there permanently! Won't change my mind on them regardless :p but anyways, visited today. The new squirrel monkey indoors is large, well lit and easy to look into (with reflection being a big problem with their old one). It takes up the entire space the miniature playground used to, and has actually therefore made the path a lot narrower than it used to be. The monkeys seem to love it though, and the people too.
    Blackburn Pavilion is still closed due to the bird flu crisis, as far as I could see other walkthroughs were open. Notable birds that have gone offshow due to this are the flamingos, pelicans and curassows.
    There is now a false bamboo pattern on the windows of the gorilla enclosure, making viewing them a challenge.
    Spotted the tree kangaroo in her enclosure whilst watching the spider monkeys! She was being fed by a keeper and some people who, upon asking a volunteer, I heard were from Bronx Zoo.
    The baby narrow-striped mongoose is lovely.
    Bhanu and the lionesses spent their entire day in the sandy area of their enclosure, I didn't see them in their usual corner at all!

14027 likes this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I'll never understand the anti-ape sentiment of a surprising number of zoochatters. It may be one of the great divisions on the site. Apart from anything else it seems a little self-hating ;)

Zia, Gigit and ShonenJake13 like this.
  3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Oh, I'd certainly not describe myself as anti-ape - but I do struggle to find them as fascinating as many clearly do. Vive la différence, I say. :)

FunkyGibbon and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you have any photos showing this? Does it cover the main window?

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nor do I. It personally may happen to have a good interest in rhinos, but that is not to say I do not share an interest in other wild- and plantlife.

On the (non-) great ape Zoochat species: Just like quite a few fellow ZC'-ers, I do not share the same fascination with great apes as some of those that do will do. What puzzles me sometimes is that rather those with a (fine) fascination for great apes seem to be (just a tad) indifferent to LBJ's. I assume this has a tad to do with the (non-) versus the antropomorphic / -centric folks.

But hey, relax and enjoy the diversity.

6. ShonenJake13

I'll try and post the photo to the gallery ASAP. I only got a photo of the covering of the gallery windows looking out at the island, not the covering of the main window. All are the same and all are equally difficult to look through now!

7. ShonenJake13

The photo is up, the outdoors are easier to look into but that's purely because it's lighter out there. With the lights now dimmed indoors and the added 'bonus' of reflective glass I could hardly see the group inside, only when Kumbuka came close to the glass.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh dear...:( more attempts to reduce the effect of proximity of people to Kumbuka, but now to the extent they are increasingly hard to see, particularly inside where the most time is spent. And I don't know if it will be beneficial for the animals, Kumbuka won't be fooled, he will still know the people are right there as before.

9. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

London will receive another pair of Asian lions in 2017-see the Whipsnade thread for more info!

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is just that it was first posted in the Whipsnade thread on account that they will be quarantained over there.

For the good of all ZC readers, I repost the importat titbits here:
    QUOTE:
    "Panthera1981 said:
    A pair of Asian lions have arrived from Sakkarbaug Zoo, India and are currently in quarantine. Named Amal (m) and Toral (f) they will be transferred to London Zoo once their quarantine is over.

It is hoped the hunting dogs will arrive by early Spring.
    UNQUOTE:

"Kifaru Bwana said:
    To be more precise:
    Male Amal born 13/05/2010 Junagadh
    Female Torul (!!!) born 10/02/2010 Junagadh
    Do not worry …, 2 different sets of parents!
    UNQOUTE

11. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Last edited: 29 Dec 2016
  12. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In 1936, David Seth-Smith, the Curator of Mammals and Birds, listed the mammals that London Zoo wanted. In order of appearance, the animals were: bongo, giant eland, giant forest hog, white rhinoceros, king cheetah, angwantibo, platypus, giant panda, proboscis monkey, Bornean tarsier, rocky mountain goat, pronghorn and saiga. I have seen some of these mammals at London Zoo, so Seth-Smith had realistic hopes. Seth-Smith also hoped that the zoo would obtain okapis, koalas and takins again.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2016
  13. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Interesting list.
    London Zoo has exhibited most of those animals at some time; however never platypus or Bornean tarsier (but has had Philippine tarsier).

14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, Tim. Coincidentally, the article was opposite a map showing dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals.