Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 12 Jan 2019.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Even if one pecked me on the cheek ans squawked "Hey there, I'm the new bird!" I wouldn't be able to answer this :D
    I went to see the new tiger Asim, but there was work going on in the enclosure ... notices were up apologising for the tigers being kept in for the day. I assume that is a previously displayed sign then.

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  2. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

was at the zoo today and there is a load of red tape on an aviary behind the gorilla house with a sigh saying we have welcomed some new birds did not see the birds though Although there was a dead chicken in there

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  3. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will be visiting tomorrow after a walk through Regents Park for the wildfowl pool, I will be taking some photographs of the enclosures and exhibits will put some up in the gallery soon after.
    will give a list of current bird species on show shortly.
    Many thanks Robert Everett for the info will check out tomorrow.

StoppableSan, Chatt Wolf and FBBird like this.
  4. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I saw it the weekend before last. Very exciting.

@AdrianW1963, did you see the new birds?

pangolin12 likes this.
  5. tom1998

tom1998 Active Member 5+ year member

The "new bird" is a sacred ibis who was originally in the Snowdon Aviary. It's sharing the enclosure with the two African Harrier Hawks and I saw it in the outside space for the first time yesterday afternoon.

I haven't heard of any new bird species joining the collection but a new curator has been hired for the Birds Department so I'm sure he'll have some plans for it :)

6. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Didn't see any new bird species as such but will be returning early April to pick up some info I was asking about the weekend.

7. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I had a small trip to London yesterday, my final trip to a Zoo in the UK for some time!

Can anyone give any advice on using cameras in the rainforest section. Mine just steam up and make it impossible . Can’t seem to get rid of the condensation and then that affects the focus and my view and in the end, give up trying to get photos! Which is frustrating as they have so many cool animals in there which you can get very close to making it perfect for good images

I don’t seem to get this problem as bad in other tropical houses but the rainforest house there seems to be worse, I don’t know if it’s more down to being high up or possibly as whenever I go to London it’s always raining outside , so my gear is normally already wet.

Any advice appreciate

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

If the weather is cold, go for a coffee for half an hour immediately before going to the rainforest. Make sure your camera is free from condensation, sitting nice and snug in a bag while supping away before walking over and removing while in the rainforest.

It took me about ten minutes for mine to clear the other week when I forgot, although standing next to the radiator might have helped clear it quicker.

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At Paignton there are hot air hand driers installed at the entrances of Reptile Tropics and the Crocodile Swamp for the benefit of spectacle wearers in the humid environments. Of course they work for camera lenses and viewfinders too, so on a cool day I spend quite a time warming my spectacles and camera at these entrances - and occasionally, if I need to change a lens, I go back to the entrance.
    There is no reason why you shouldn't apply the same approach in other places. Warm your camera lens and viewfinder with the hand drier in the nearest toilet, then quickly replace the lens cap. If possible, fill your camera bag with warm air too and put the camera in it. Then rush off to the Rainforest.

10. Zooreviewsuk

Speaking to a keeper yesterday they said that the Pocupines, and African Pygmy Goats would be going to that area. They won't be getting Aardvarks again as ZSL don't think they do well in captivity and develop problems with their spines which they feel is because they are unable to replicate their diets.

11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First time I've heard this, they seem to do well enough elsewhere.

pipaluk likes this.
  12. Zooreviewsuk

It surprised me and I said they breed well at other collections and they said that was not a reproduction issue, but a lot of Aardvarks in captivity develop back issues and don't tend to live as long as they should.

13. FBBird

Sounds a bit of a cop out. Why not work on improving husbandry? There was a time ZSL wouldn't keep Gorillas because they were impossible to keep alive........

14. Zooreviewsuk

No idea, only passing on what they said.

In slightly better news, Bushmasters are going on show next week and in the coral reef section in the BUGS they may be getting some form of sea snake.

15. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also I’d be surprised if the pygmy goats are taking up one of the new enclosures, since they’re already in the touch area on the left-hand side of the new development which seems to be going unaltered by the new plans. Does anyone know if the hyraxes have left the collection or are they just cloistered away in the Casson still? Perhaps they could be making a reappearance?

16. FBBird

Bushmaster -- another species once considered 'impossible'.

17. Zooreviewsuk

The goats will be in a roaming section. They will be doing animals talks / handling and that in this section as well. Goats definitely going in this section,.

18. Zooreviewsuk

They are going in the old Black Mamba exhibit which is in front of you as you enter the Reptile House. They have had them a couple of years but only now going on show.

Both their Black Mamba's had to be pts due to health issues at the backend of last year. They no longer have any mamba's in the collection. They did mention another type of venomous snake beginning with B which is likely to go on show soon, but can't remember for the life of me what it was.

19. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hang about so if I’m understanding correctly they’re relocating the goats currently in the area I’ve marked out in red to one of the enclosures marked out in purple? Still good to hear there's something happening in the Reptile House I need some variety with my black-headed pythons and gila monsters.

Attached Files:

20. Zooreviewsuk

@BillEel

Given they said it would be a free roaming area, it may not be in one of those enclosures, but they said it would not be new species going into the new build. As Porcupines will be moving over and APG will be in the area too.