Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 12 Jan 2019.

1. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I’d also take into consideration ZSL zoos are going over a massive change and isn’t about how many species we can fit in a zoo. London zoo still has more species than Chester

2. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I think people are generally down on London on these forums through (speaking for myself) a mix of profound affection and genuine love for the place, irritation at current management and an ability to see what a world class institution it could be again with a little more imagination than the current leadership possesses.

That said, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has its flaws, as we are all pointing out, but also a good number of rarities, good exhibits on the whole, and for history is second only to the Menagerie in Paris and Schonnbrunn in Vienna.

It's not a BAD zoo, it's a very good zoo. Just not what it could or should be.

Tim May, TNT, sooty mangabey and 3 others like this.
  3. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Are there any interesting rarities?

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Potto, Moholi Galago, Slender Loris, Australian Water Rat, and Bearded Pig spring to mind from the mammals. There are still some very nice reptiles and amphibians on show as well.

tom1998, TNT and oflory like this.
  5. oflory

As of today, Chinese giant salamanders!

But yes, have a look on zootierliste. Off the top of my head: Bornean bearded pigs, narrow-striped mongoose, Australian water rats, aye-ayes, Fiji iguana, Mohol galago...

pipaluk, StoppableSan and Luca Bronzi like this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Although the potto and pig are sadly not going to last much longer I fear....

monster likes this.
  7. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Soon to go the way of the Panay cloudrunners

8. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I know the Bearded Pigs are on the way out, but didn't know the same was true of the Pottos. Are they elderly specimens?

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Any reason why ? They are currently in two exhibits in nightlife.

10. TeaLovingDave

Not incredibly old but not spring chickens either - the last successful breeding in Europe that I know of was at Marwell in 2006, and I believe the European population is down to six individuals across four collections. With regards to London's stock, they have two individuals in separate exhibits.

Zooreviewsuk and Crowthorne like this.
  11. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I think London is a great zoo, it just takes long periods of time to change especially when the zoo is already nearly 200 years old change takes time especially as they are going through a reform of their collection so every animal is in the zoo for a reason weather it be educational or breeding

Indlovu likes this.
  12. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have to correct you on this @TeaLovingDave - the pair are mixed. Also I believe each one is about 10 years old, which isn’t exactly ancient but isn’t the youngest either....

Crowthorne likes this.
  13. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

They were definitely mixed when I was last there. :)

14. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They were mixed at the weekend, and very showy. Shame if they're not likely to breed though :(

15. TeaLovingDave

In which case presumably ZRUK is incorrect about there being two exhibits? :p

16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are two enclosures...but they’re next door to each other and linked by a hatch.

pipaluk, Maguari and TeaLovingDave like this.
  17. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With the aviaries on the North bank now 60% empty what would people like to see happen to them refurbished or remove and replaced with what.
    My self would love to see them refurbished and have a collection of turaco's in them what do you want to see?

18. oflory

I agree - it would make sense to have an African theme, however light, to the North Bank, with the colobus, parrots and duiker (are duiker still going in?) in the Snowdon.

I think there was some discussion of plans for the aviaries some time ago - and someone knew what might happen?

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where has the Chinese giant salamander been put? judging by this video ('Living fossil' given new home) it looks like it's in the Aquarium but isn't that about to close permanently?

20. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd bet on it being the recently emptied mountain chicken tank near the axolotls in the Reptile House. As for the North Bank aviaries I dug up planning permission for a new set of pheasant aviaries on that site but they were submitted several years ago now I believe. If they're in any way adhering to the masterplan that I've seen floating around dated to 07/08 that land is earmarked for an Asian Swamp exhibit and a Northern Forest exhibit, however that would be executed.

StoppableSan and Tim May like this.