Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 12 Jan 2019.

1. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think by October the full thing will close but part of it (I think the tropical room) has already closed.

2. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to visit the zoo in May,although the situation now looks very disappointing...
    But I've never seen Okapis and Aye-Ayes before,so probably it worths a visit

3. Bonobob

Bonobob New Member

Thanks Regent! :)

Such a shame about the anteater enclosure as I always thought it was a great exhibit! I wonder what they could use it for in future as it seems like such a waste to leave it empty!

pipaluk likes this.
  4. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Are Narrow-striped mongooses on-exhibit?

5. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes. London is still worth visiting even if the collection is diminished.

Luca Bronzi likes this.
  6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Really? I always understood that it was infamous for no-one ever seeing anteaters in it.

7. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I think the anteaters would be better off at Whipsnade more space for them

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Never failed on any of my visits.

9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Actually out in the enclosure? I've only ever seen them in their indoor quarters there

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  10. Crowthorne

Yes, these are in the row of enclosures on the left in Rainforest Life

Luca Bronzi likes this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I saw them outside a couple of months ago, maybe the first time I noticed them actually.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've just realised that the exhibit under discussion isn't the old one which was located near the insect house, and which has been vacant a while :p as this is the one to which I was referring.

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Crowthorne WAS referring to the same enclosure as you, as the enclosure by the giraffes has no indoor viewing ! LittleRedPanda must have been referring to the current enclosure though if it was 2 months ago

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought that anteater enclosure was particularly poor, from a visitor perspective. In many, many visits, I have only ever seen them out once – and the indoor viewing was only visible by crouching down and peering into very low windows – because, of course, only children need to be able to see animals in a zoo... That said, and of course, the loss of yet another species from the zoo is a real shame.

SHAVINGTONZOO likes this.
  15. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m not sure it’s a loss, in fact I’d be willing to bet that the old reindeer paddock up behind the otters is earmarked for a new anteater enclosure. I spoke to a keeper shortly after the anteaters moved to the back of the giraffe enclosure who said in vague terms that the anteaters would be going to a new exhibit in the “Happy Families” area and that the old anteater enclosure they once occupied with rhea and vicuña down near bugs would become some kind of walkthrough.

The reindeer enclosure of course has now been closed for redevelopment, though it doesn’t seem like any ground has been broken in there, and the old anteater enclosure has become a walkthrough although by the look of things not the kind with any animals in it. Instead they have a few signs about enrichment in the zoo and old boomer balls along the path by the look of things, and that is, of course, highly disappointing.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Crowthorne

Yes I was referring to the enclosure next to BUGS. I only ever saw them inside in that enclosure, never outside. This enclosure currently seems to be in the process of becoming a walkthrough of some kind, I put some pictures in the gallery the other week.

pipaluk likes this.
  17. LucasRyan

LucasRyan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The old anteater/vicuña area remains lacking animals - it was used for season events, such as dinosaurs in 2017, and during this Easter for the Mini Keepers role playing, hence you can see the boomer balls etc from the path. Also used during the Christmas lights, and likely to be again used that way again this year. Unlikely to have any animals anytime soon.

Rumours has it that the anteaters will be leaving the collection, the latest inventory shows just 3 females now so something happened to the male within the last year. Until then they live in the offshow area to the right of giraffes, stand on the viewing platform and look straight ahead, if your lucky and they happen to be out, you will see them.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably best I don't comment on this, I've said enough already! London has little enough space and too few animals as it is without wasting 2 perfectly good enclosures on non-animal related crap!

Shorts, Bonobob and sooty mangabey like this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Too bad to learn of this latest (potential) phase out. Truthfully, the shutting of the London Zoo Aquarium being the greatest disaster of all. For the latter, I will and cannot contend with the crap talk that a defunct building that is literally falling apart can have listed building status and nothing is done about it both by ZSL nor Westminster council or the Royals - it is an eyesore and a crying shame on public authorities they have let the situation come this far. The London site "owns" a landmark eyesore ... by which no authority or no sensible arguement seems to move authorities, direct owners and external actors to move forward in a positive fashion by which the zoo has an area ready for redevelopment. And yes, ZSL zoo and collection management is in part to blame itself, but as much also public and London City authorities too and the wider public for letting a forced privatision let this happen!

It seems pretty soon something has gotta give at ZSL - London Regent's Park location. I am personally still of the opinion that it is / would be imperative to expand the current footprint of the London site into the park (which would require Royal intervention).

Zorro likes this.
  20. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But initially the animals could also be viewed through a window in the Gents Toilet, making it a unique exhibit, although not ticking any sexual equality boxes (unless there was also a window in the Ladies too...).