Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by aquilla1, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That seems to be the case although personally I would like to see something new there...

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Twycross should not be able to dictate whether another collection receives any given species or not, especially if it is in the best interests of the breeding programme, conservation & education!

3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The problem with bonobos is that now any zoo acquiring the species must have the facilities to use fission-fusion management with them. I believe out of all 10 zoos in Europe with the species now only Berlin and Cologne don’t have a method of doing this, not that it’s much of an issue for them as they only have six animals each...so if London were to get bonobos they would need to do some serious heavy duty work on the enclosure and let’s be honest, London are unlikely to do that....

4. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Like I said, current management are not as opposed to the idea as past management have been, and the studbook have clearly informed Twycross that a couple of other places in the UK will receive bonobos in the coming decade. They don’t get to decide, especially as they’ve abandoned their primate stampbook attitude now...

5. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thank you @ShonenJake13 I thought I remembered something about Twycross being keen to be the only UK holders of Bonobo. Good to hear that other UK collections may go into them in the not too distant future.

As much as I can't see London using the space for anything but great apes, and they'll probably decide to continue with gorillas, I would like to see London go into a canine species. Bush Dogs would be a nice addition, they're small, wonderfully active, and don't have the same strong smell that some other canines have (and that a lot of visitors find unpleasant)

Tafin and ShonenJake13 like this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gorillas are still a big draw for them at London- I can't see them replacing them with something else. Zaire's death was to be expected at some time as she was elderly, so is perhaps not as tragic as the loss of silverback Kumbuka. But even he can be replaced- in time, or a new younger male(or preferable a pair) brought in, to give the group a way forward. That is all that is needed.

7. Pertinax

I think that is true, and there is no reason Twycross can continue expecting to dictate whether other zoos in the UK keep Bonobos anyway- they have no real grounds to do so.

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zaire has many other living relatives. From Nandi’s line alone, there’s Zaire’s brother - Kakinga (born 1978), who sired 13 offspring at the Calgary Zoo (seven currently living) before his death in 2016; and Zaire’s brother - Motoba (born 1983), who sired five offspring (all currently living) and has had 15 grandchildren (10 living) through his two eldest offspring.

I think the best way forward is to form a new breeding troop of 1.3 with the remaining females Effie (1993), Mjukuu (1999) and Alika (2014) being joined by a new male. The two options for introducing a new male are to introduce a young male (who could mature in the troop; and wouldn’t pose a threat to the two juveniles); or wait until Alika and Gernot have reached adolescence, export Gernot and bring in a new male. I don’t know the females well enough to comment on which option would potentially work better.

9. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do their indoor facilities need to be renovated or are they good enough for a new stock of Malayan tapir?

10. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Adequate at best. The entire Casson building needs renovating!

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Pertinax

Yes, Zaire has very many other relatives through her siblings and half-siblings, I only mentioned Emba as she is in the UK.

I did hear the proposed plan was to bring in a new male after a couple of years, allowing the two juveniles to grow more. However Zaire's death leaves a group of only four so its possible things might be brought forward rather, I don't know..

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  12. LucasRyan

LucasRyan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The now infamous crazy golf is no more, it is in the process of being removed. Sounds like the plan for that space, once home to vicunas and anteaters, will be turned into a nature garden. Which, while commendable, is a shame considering you already have the Woodland Walk and the existing bug garden/wildlife garden.

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ridiculous! What the hell was wrong with the anteater and Vicuna enclosures. This is a zoo, in need of more animals not less, it already has a garden and 'woodland walk'. If visitors want to look at gardens they can do so in Regents Park without paying £30 for the privilege! Crazy golf and dinosaurs was irritating enough, but at least they probably brought in more revenue, a garden - No!

14. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nature Garden = ‘We’ve run out of ideas/money.”

London can ill afford to lose any more space for animals. What a shame this area was never used for its original intended occupants-Giant otters.

15. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

16. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

pipaluk likes this.
  17. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  18. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are not accusing ZSL of evicting them from their native lands.

19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This article clearly underestimates the severity of human-wildlife conflict, which can be fatal for both human well-being and wildlife conservation. It makes very dubious claims about the relationship between wildlife and local people, without evidence to back it up.

That doesn't invalidate their claims, naturally, but it makes me at least a bit more hesitant to accept what they say. I also don't really see a problem with the video, but that may be on me.

evilmonkey239 and Yi Qi like this.
  20. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So true and so sad. Another example that this zoo is going down.
    When you imagine that you pay more or less the same entrance fee at Zoo Beauval (F) as you do at London Zoo and then compare what you get for your money....

evilmonkey239 and pipaluk like this.