Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2015.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any idea why ZSL gave up with Macaroni penguins? I remember seeing them for a brief period when Penguin Beach first opened. I also believe there were plans to bring in Fairy Blue penguins to Penguin Beach. What happened with that?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They probably heard what happened with the group Bristol imported from Melbourne in 2005.. and the lack of success with them on the continent.

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

I do wonder why they don't net over the penguin pools at Whipsnade.

Zoo licensing inspectors do sometimes fret over some odd things Yet they never seem bothered about keeping flightless (or pinioned, for that matter) birds in enclosures where they're such easy pickings for foxes (and rumour has it, badgers as well).

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last time I was there I noticed rather obvious fox-proof fencing around the Penguin pools which I hadn't ever seen previously.I don't know if its fully effective or not though and whether its sunk into the ground sufficiently to prevent Badgers also.

If they now have 3.4 Rockhoppers here does that mean the lone male at ZSL will join them to make up a fourth pair?

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The New fencing was put up almost immediately after the last Rockhoppers 'disappeared' about 2 years ago, so time will tell now it is being put to the test I guess.
    My bet is Ricky will stay where he is.

6. Pertinax

Their choices- keep him as a personalised 'star' at ZSL- or give him company with other Rockhoppers at Whipsnade- or give him a mate( the extra female) at London.

7. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can imagine a bit of an uproar if he was moved to Whipsnade as he is, as you say, a 'star' at London with a lot of publicity and (I think) public adoptions for him. It would, however, be the best welfare option probably to move him to Whipsnade where he can have company of his own species and the opportunity to have a mate and maybe breed in the future.

8. pipaluk

There must be a reason why he has remained the lone rockhopper at London for at least the last 6 years. He was kept like that even when their were his own kind at Whipsnade's during that time.
    I have a feeling the presenter at a London talk several years ago said he had been moved to London because he didn't get on with the others at Whipsnade. It could be there was a problem with him & another male, but I can't recall exactly what was said.

9. Pertinax

I just wondered why they have obtained 3 males and four females if there is no intention to give him a partner.

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

For a number of years, the breeding pair at Whipsnade produced a chick almost annually. Concurrently, in the previous London pool, the occasion rockhopper would then appear year on year - I think there were three at one point around 2007/2008. Whether London kept recieving new rockhoppers (i.e. 'ricky') after the foxes killed 11 of the London birds in around 2009, I do not know, but I think it unlikely that they would have risked adding them until the new enclosure could be completed. What I think happened was perhaps that Ricky was the last individual left at London and either they wanted a larger group on opening the current exhibit and found they could only acquire a single-sex group of Macaroni penguins, or perhaps they actually had planned to add more rockhoppers over time, only to find in 2012 their breeding pair (and 1 or 2 previous chicks) were killed by foxes there. Either way, I would think it likely that there would be some attempt to pair 'Ricky' with a female (which I'm sure will earn their way in the form of many nauseating press articles about their penguin relationship problems, but then that's what raises the funds I guess), and Whipsnade has definitely been very successful with just the one pair in their enclosure, so there's every reason to assume they might try pairing London as well as at Whipsnade. Ironically, had ZSL moved the Whipsnade group into 'Penguin Beach' when it opened in 2011, they'd probably be alive and well today, and possibly even breeding again. But it would have made no sense given they were breeding on the downs and had clearly not suffered fox attacks in many years there.

As for the Macaronis, this was discussed when they left in 2011/2012, and it would appear two died prompting the remaining three to go (back?) to Living Coasts, where I presume they still are. Given Torquay's particularly warm location on the English Riviera, perhaps the key to their success with this species is more related to being able to use sea water? The discussion was on these threads, anyway:

https://www.zoochat.com/community/posts/530813

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  12. Pertinax

Just speculation but maybe they would hedge their bets and split the birds between London and Whipsnade.(two pairs at each site?) Plus giving them the extra publicity over providing 'Ricky' with a mate. But if he's not the only Rockhopper in Penguin Beach anymore he will lose his 'individual' star status.

13. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was up at the Zoo yesterday afternoon and have not been so cold up there for a very long time! Work is progressing on the new Entrance and Butterfly developments and it was great to see Rockhopper Penguins back at the zoo.

I will post a couple of pictures in the Whipsnade gallery.

14. pipaluk

Visited today and it was great to see the Rockhoppers back, though I only saw 3 gathered in one corner by the front fence. They are in the left hand pool, separated from the Africans it would appear.
    One unusual sight was that all the elephant herd were together in the centre sand yard, including breeding bull Emmet, with just one exception. George was alone in the next yard and interacting (friendly) with his father through the fence.
    Was good to get my first sighting of the newborn pygmy hippo.
    The monkey/lemur island appeared empty, no signs up, but the light was on in the house.
    Lemur walkthrough was closed.

15. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Strange, I visited today and I didn't see Emmett in with the others. I did see one of the females (not sure which) who I know has one tusk interacting with George. Emmett has two enormous tusks.
    On the subject of the red river hogs and the Bird Garden (which I started a different thread about), I saw the paddock of the former today but there were none of them outside. In terms of the Bird Garden, delighted to announce that I got a glimpse of a male Sulawesi tarictic hornbill! The blue cranes were wandering around by the screen as usual, and then I heard the male calling and as I raised my camera he was back into his roost.
    Very happy!
    Also good to catch up with my faves (the rhinos, hippos and chimps).

16. pipaluk

Which red river hog paddock did you look in? There were 6 or 7 outside in the one nearest the meerkats. Could just be bad timing for you today, as with the elephants.

17. ajmcwhipsnade

When I visited the meerkat enclosure seemed empty

18. pipaluk

There were 3 in there yesterday, as usual.

19. ajmcwhipsnade

well I was very, very cold so they were probably being very sensible and keeping warm somewhere!

Good to hear that they are still there though.

20. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For those interested, there's a video on YouTube from the contractor building the zoo's new entrance. Typing in "Whipsnade Zoo new entrance" showcases a virtual walk through.