Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2015.

1. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

2. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wolf Wood has always been a favourite of mine (what with wolves becoming increasingly rare in UK collections) but the long term vision seems to favour transferring London's hunting dogs to Whipsnade. Personally I'd like to see Dhole, but that would REALLY muck up the geographical theming!;)

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well they aren't European Wolves despite what the signage says!!

4. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was not aware of the African hunting dog plan, has that been talked about for a while?

5. Panthera1981

A female Francois langur was born in January.

Hooded merganser and Smew have been added to the collection, with plans to add more Rockhoppers to the current group. There are also plans to add more native owl species to the old Woodland Walk area.

6. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

sorry for the late reply ! I wasn't told about the closed section until I reached it where there was a keeper who I asked. no reduced fee either!

First time I'd taken my car in and it was quite annoying as that was the only reason I took the car in this time!

7. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

As a good number of us have commented upon, there is more than ample space at Whipsnade for all three species to be held. This is something that Howletts achieves very well with ninety acres, less than half the space usable at Whipsnade (ie excludng the Downs and the area fenced off behind the hippos)!

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For a visitor such as yourself, then an announcement at the Entrance would have been very useful. It is on their website but how many people look at websites before going to Zoos, there's no obligation to do so. I think I would have complained in this instance, not about the closure but the fact its not being advertised before you enter the Park.

9. Pertinax

Of course there is...:) I'd welcome the return of Hunting Dogs to Whipsnade but can't see why they would have to replace the wolves to use their existing enclosure.- Why not build them a new one- perhaps the obvious place would be somewhere in the region of the Lions/ Cheetahs or on the bank opposite the Hippos perhaps. Its not as if they haven't got the space. I'm also a bit concerned if they have to leave London to get them- why not keep them at both places? It wasn't so long ago they arrived at London among the usual fanfare of publicity, taking over from the Oryx which themselves had been shunted off to Whipsnade and then finally out of ZSL altogether.:rolleyes: Dholes would be welcome too, but they seem to have this thing about having only one Canid species.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2015
  10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Several people have commented that there was no indication at the zoo’s entrance that “Passage Through Asia” was closed.

This situation has now changed; I visited Whipsnade yesterday with ZooChat member “Pipaluk” and we were informed at the gate, before entering, that this part of the park was closed.

11. ajmcwhipsnade

That's good, I must admit when I was there last I was disappointed not to be able to go through it as its one of my favourite parts of the zoo.

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have just looked at the map I was handed at the zoo on Saturday. It is terrible! I know that the modern way seems to be to cover maps with pictures of animals, but half of the animals aren't on the map or even the paddocks. Also, the accuracy of the placement of the pictures is not great in some cases e.g bongo & Wild Boar for starters!
    Surely for a first time visitor, a proper map showing all the enclosures & all the animals labelled (numbered if necessary) would be far more useful?!

13. ajmcwhipsnade

It does seem a common theme with most zoo's that the maps, leaflets and guidebooks etc are not as good as they used to be. I would love to work for a company that gets to design them for zoo's, I find it all really interesting.

14. Panthera1981

Ahh the eternal Whipsnade map conundrum! I think the answer to that is up there with will we ever stop world hunger or will we ever find a cure for the common cold!:rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned with improving the road signs. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen cars speeding or going the wrong way!

15. ajmcwhipsnade

Annoyingly I don't think road signs would stop some people driving the wrong way, it does happen way too much . Its such a shame that some abuse the privilege to bring the cars in the zoo.

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ajang the 4 year old male Indian rhino has been moved to a new exhibit at Branfere zoo in France

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This more or less underlines that 1 of the cows should be pregnant.

18. Pertinax

I believe this is the Rhino that seriously injured the keeper? It seems no further details have been released about that incident.

19. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Overheard today, one of the cows is due to give birth in August. Did hear the name of which one but can't remember off the top of my head!

20. Panthera1981

Could well be Behan, as there are underlying health issues with Beluki reproducing any further.

Hard to believe that Behan's first calf, Asha, will be 10 next year-how time flies! I don't know how Rap, Beluki's first now at W.Mids, is doing however.