Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2015.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It appears from later comments that you may have been right, but I don't see why moving a 4 year old male rhino would necessarily mean one of the cows was pregnant. Younger calves have been moved to other zoos previously, so Ajang was probably due to move anyway. In fact it was suggested on here a year ago he may go to Flamingoland!

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1) Space constraints (necessitating a move) normally are indicative of a move for a mega vertebrate.
    2) The Flamingoland deal fell through and hence destination in limbo.

All that is why it has taken much longer than usual.
    Now, it is time-out. :D

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know what the health issues are? Normally that would be seen as bad news but both females have successfully raised several calves each and with the situation of EEP looking for new holders its probably not necessary for her to breed again anyway. I hope she has a long and contented retirement in that case.

4. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

It would be a very long one. She's only 19!!! :confused:

5. IanRRobinson

There are simply too many cars in the park now, far more than when I began visiting Whipsnade as an independent adult in the early 1980s.

To accommodate them, potential or actual exhibit space has been sacrificed (adjoining the elephant arena and in Bluebell Wood). Duke's Avenue in particular can be a minefield to cross with a small child or an elderly individual.

I think it has got to the point where only cars with small children (ie under 5), or genuine blue badge holders (ie physically impaired, either through age or disability) should be allowed into the park in high season. Increase the number of buses; children of all ages love using double-deckers!

6. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Small tumours lining her uterus I believe-not life threatening but would be a significant hinderance to her reproducing. I think there's still a chance of one more calf from her.

Ian-the chances of increased double deckers are slim. Overuse (and their weight) has significantly degraded the road system, so the best scenario would be to invest in single deckers....or a monorail!:cool:

Personally I'd ban the cars but seeing as most people are allergic to exercise nowadays, they're here to stay no matter how high the entrance fee. IMO there's nothing better than a leisurely walk around the place-it's a park zoo after all.

7. Pertinax

This is one of the common reasons for reproductive failure in Rhinos, but its more usually associated with females that have not had a pregnancy for a long time. Interesting to hear of it in a reproducing female also.

I suppose both these females must be advancing in age somewhat- how long have they been at Whipsnade now?

8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The two female Indian rhinos both arrived at Whipsnade in 1998.

(To be more precise, after checking the studbook, I can confirm that "Beluki" arrived on 22nd September 1998 and "Behan" a few weeks later on 3rd November 1998.)

They're certainly not old for Indian rhinos.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Saw him and his two females a couple of weeks ago... appeared to be doing fine :)

10. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps a restriction during peak season would not be a bad idea, however I feel that just restricting kids under 5 or genuine blue badge holders would be unfair. Take for example my Dad, he finds it very hard to walk distances without severe pain due to problems with his legs. This is not something that physical impairs him or is a disability but without the Car he would not be able to enjoy the full site or even visit the Zoo.

11. Pertinax

No, I would class them as early 'middle age' perhaps.

They were both late first-time breeders, not starting until they were well over ten, as no bull was available, but have rather made up for lost time since, with regular breeding. In fact I think the births may have been spaced more closely than in the wild, as the calves all seem to have been separated/ moved on at quite an early age.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The two Nepali Indian GOHR cows both have a revised estimated birth date in 1996. Hence, one would have to say both are now estimated over 18 ..!

I would advise in the case of Beluki to have her looked at by IZW scientists and have the cysts removed. In this way she could have years still to reproduce successfully.

13. Pertinax

What I was suggesting is that if new holders are being sought because there is so much successful breeding going on, isn't that a sign that breeding needs to be restricted now perhaps?

14. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Who do you consider to be the non-genuine blue badge holders? If someone has been medically assessed and awarded a blue badge they must need it, or are you talking about people who fraudulently use blue badges?

15. IanRRobinson

Anybody who has real physical problems, which of course happen to some earlier than others, or has small children (ie under 5) has my sympathy. I have taken my Mum, who was crippled with arthritis, to Whipsnade on her 85th birthday, and my stepdaughter when she was two. So I do know what the issues are.

But let's not get bogged down in semantics here. A way of encouraging more people who can walk into Whipsnade easily to do so, and to have good available shared transport when they want to take a rest, would be in the Park's long-term best interests.

16. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that less car users would be a positive thing. I, perhaps unfairly, thought you were suggesting some people were undeserving. I've never taken a car in purely because of cost but this does mean I miss out on the opportunity to spend time in the Asia drive through.

17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The Asia drive-through is the big barrier to removing car access - the non-car viewing, even from the train, is very limited. But it's one of the best drive-through exhibits in the country (from an aesthetic point of view, only Highland's main reserve can beat it), so if they were to alter it I'd like to see something that kept the feel - maybe a Highland-Kiang-style Big Giant Walkway might be a reasonable fix.

18. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

Have the cows at Vienna bred? They were a direct import am I right?

19. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which just so happens to be one of the tentative proposals from management once the Cloisters project is complete!;)

20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The pair at Vienna are both wild imports and have so far not yet reproduced