Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2015.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know where you are coming from! What you say may well be, but these two Nepali cows are so very very very important to the breeding program, restricting their opportunities for breeding is not logical step policy-wise.

Anything that might redress the balance over the quite substantial representation of the Basel Zoo-line is a good thing for this EEP.

BTW: also remember several of these wild-born imports have never reproduced successfully as yet (I say … Berlin Zoo, Muenchen Hellabrunn and Wien Schoennbrunn. That is quite a few non-represented wild-born and potential founders for the program.

2. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has just published its attendance figures for 2014: 700,000, approx 27% up on the previous year and its best year since the early 1970s.

Not bad for a place that has only utilised half the land it owns-imagine what the figures would be if ZSL finally got around to developing the rest!

3. Reptile Boy97

Reptile Boy97 Active Member

I will be going to the zoo on the 27th. I just wanted to find out if the bird show and the sea lion show is on at this time of year? Thanks

4. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I looked on the website and I couldn't find if either show runs this time of year, but from what I remember they are less regular then during peak season. It may well have changed as I have not been to one of the shows for a while now.

Perhaps you may want to get in contact with the Zoo to double check?

5. Reptile Boy97

I may do but not too bothered just wondered as I couldn't find any mention of it on the website and thought it would be nice to see them if there were on as it is the first time I have been to the zoo for close to two years now

6. ajmcwhipsnade

ah ok cool, well if they are on I recommend them. Its been quite a while since I went to either show so they may have changed quite a bit since I was young.

7. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

From what I saw on Saturday they aren't running full shows, instead they are running short training sessions with the animals, getting them ready for when the full shows start in the high season. Ask at the ticket desk for a timetable, the session times should be listed on there :)

8. Reptile Boy97

Just another quick question before I go to the zoo on Friday. How does the entry and shop work? I know the entrance is being redone so how do you actually get in to the zoo? And is the gift shop still open? Thanks

9. Panthera1981

There's an entrance down the side of the building work, through the woods. There are a number of temporary kiosks dotted around that sell gifts.

A pity you can't delay your visit-the new entrance opens in roughly 2 weeks!

10. Panthera1981

Squirrel monkeys have returned to the old Squirrel Monkey island.

However, this is only temporary before the all-male group move onto another collection. There are tentative discussions about housing one of the displaced groups from London's lion terraces on the island in the long term.

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. Panthera1981

I think, feasibly, the only group that would work are the Francois langurs. The gibbons are father/son (the son being hybrid) and the spider monkeys are an old breeding pair with one adult male offspring. The langurs have also produced offspring since the move.

However, I'd love to see, and hear, gibbons on that island! Think you'd have to do a lot of surrounding tree pruning first though!

Last edited: 24 Mar 2015
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The son isn't inbred at all - he's about as outbred as he could get, which is the problem :p he's a leucogenys x gabriellae hybrid.

14. Panthera1981

Whoops! Subsequently corrected-you got in before I could do so! Thanks TLD!;)

15. ajmcwhipsnade

Are the Sulawesi Macaques also at whipsnade? Or maybe London Zoo no longer had them?

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They were still at London in January, in the first enclosure on the left in Gorilla kingdom.

17. ajmcwhipsnade

ah ok, thanks for replying.

18. Reptile Boy97

Where is the island that the squirrel monkeys are now on?

19. ajmcwhipsnade

it is next to the red panda and otter enclosures, not far from the Sea Lions

20. Reptile Boy97

Is it on the map? I can't find many things on the map really, it's quite confusing