Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monster, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Agreed; I received the same e-mail.

However only twenty-six species of fish in the new Whipsnade aquarium is very disappointing given that Fellows were originally informed that three-quarters of all the freshwater species at London Zoo would be rehoused at Whipsnade.

Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's it!? How insanely disappointing, especially if this is supposed to replace London's aquarium. I do have to wonder if it's another case of ZSL decided to not fund a Whipsnade project as they promised to...

~Thylo

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please elaborate or is this vaguerism the new normal (for certainly 26 species of freshwater fish threatened with extinction is bordering on the ridiculous given the current status of freshwater system globally and what the RP ZSL Aquarium previously stood for and by)?!

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And "that the vast majority of fish would be retained at London/Whipsnade".

To me it looks like someone's either deliberately misled (unforgiveable) or didn't understand the reality of the situation (not much better but entirely consistent with how ZSL seems to be run nowadays).:(

Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Completely agree. ZSL has an opportunity here to really hammer home the status of these ecosystems and the threats they face. If a measly 26 (!!!) species is true, it’ll just be a bunch of fish crammed into a disused function suite dressed up with lots of frilly nonsense and non-descript gubbins that no one will read. But maybe that’s the standard now with ZSL exhibits.

The proof will be in the pudding I suppose. However, I fear said pudding will be rather undercooked!

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would far rather that the unit at Whipsnade concentrated on displaying 26 species well-chosen species properly, provided that they also have at least 100 tanks off-show for quarantine, breeding, rearing and holding extra breeding adults.

Dylan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  7. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Cloisters building certainly couldn’t hold that, maybe the old Discovery Centre perhaps.

Just so I’m clear-is the Aquarium at RP being closed merely to the public and retained for off-show breeding, or closed full-stop?

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well that depends: a space 3 m x 1 m can hold 60 tanks, if they are all 50 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm and on a stand with 3 tiers. That's a handy unit for breeding and rearing smaller fishes, like ZSL's goodeids and Mediterranean killifishes (Aphanius species etc). Larger species need more space of course and the display tanks will mostly be bigger too, but they will be able to mix many of the species in the display tanks, as the Aquarium at Regent's Park does now.

monster likes this.
  9. monster

monster Well-Known Member

The aquarium at RP is to be entirely closed as it is not capable of meeting safe working requirements without spending around ten million pounds

10. Stuart Sadler

Stuart Sadler Member

The evidence is round the back at car park. There’s been builders vans there for 2 or 3 months and general building noise going on. The area is quite large, being both the large wedding function rooms, which were most recently a function room and a picnic room.

11. Stuart Sadler

Stuart Sadler Member

Does anyone know whats in the new lockup shed near the River Cottage deli? Facing the pond where the whooper swans were last year. The doors were open the other day and I saw the rear end of something goat like.

12. monster

Oh yes super exciting new exhibit which will bring the crowds flocking in ......

would you believe

goats.
    not even pure breeds.
    unbeleivable.

13. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

Probably for SSSI management?

14. monster

m8ght be. in which case why not have some signage? and why not have some rare breeds? or why not some other species of Capra?

15. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi,
    may I know if the Titicaca water frogs in Whipsnade are on display or only kept offshow ?
    Thanks, Jakub

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not on show at the moment

17. monster

A second yak calf and sevetal pere david and barasingha calves. Blesbok pair are together

18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Not announced, but visitor photos on their facebook indicate recent zebra and sea lion births.

19. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do find Face book pages and photographic sites now have more up to date info than Zoo Chat when it comes to births.

20. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I think I asked before about a facebook page that was very up to date with info before I discovered zoochat - UKZoos or something. Was that someone on here?