Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monster, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Tomharper95

Tomharper95 Member

I went to Whipsnade for the first time in ages last Monday. A few highlights:

• the brown bears were fantastic and hugely active as were the tigers
    • it was good that there were a few information guides around to answer questions and the zoo appears to have increased the number of talks they do
    • it looks as though (and this is probably well covered in the thread) that a number of species are being phased out - bongos (just 3), moose (zebra stallion was in this paddock), European bison (could only see 2) and the sloth bears were probably the most obvious. In case I’ve missed this - do we know of any plans for these paddocks/species?
    • we also could see the huge herd of black fallow deer being fed which I haven’t seen before
    • there are still loads of wallabies but didn’t see a single peacock. I remember they were quite common in the park before

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sadly there are no longer any moose at Whipsnade but I saw three European bison on Thursday.

3. CaliHans

CaliHans Well-Known Member

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Great - but why Whipsnade (where they very possibly won’t even be on show) rather than London (where the bird collection could do with some stardust)?

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe they're going to turn the Blackburn Pavilion into another souvenir shop and move all the birds to Whipsnade, too...!!!

~Thylo

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Speak not of such things even in jest :p

Goura and ThylacineAlive like this.
  7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope to be there tomorrow, with my aquarium photography kit. You have been warned :p

9. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me, aquarium photography kit = give up on the dslr and pull out the iphone :p

10. gentle lemur

:eek:

11. gentle lemur

I spent the day at Whipsnade yesterday. My primary purpose was to see the new Aquarium, but it was my first visit since April 2011 so there were a lot of other changes for see too. I chose a Monday visit as I hoped the Zoo, and the Aquarium in particular, would be less crowded than at the weekend. I don't know if this really worked, as it was a beautiful day and the Zoo was very busy.
    I particularly noticed the number of families with pre-school and early years children, which rather surprised me as I had never really thought of Whipsnade as a zoo for tinies – unlike Regent's Park or Bristol. I was also surprised by the large number of children equipped with crash helmets and scooters, which probably just shows my age: of course Whipsnade's open lawns and gently sloping, traffic-free paths suit scooters well. I wonder if I should get one for my next visit :rolleyes:
    I liked the Aquarium and I will write in detail about it later this week when I have edited and processed my photos (I took a great many on three separate visits). It will improve as the planting and the fishes grow and as the filtration systems mature.
    I do understand and sympathise with the disappointment that regular Whipsnade visitors have described in this thread about the way so many species have dwindled in number or left Whipsnade altogether. So many of the big paddocks looked almost empty with just a few animals lying in a shady corner. I also noticed some worrying little signs of neglect, like the ones I have seen at Regent's Park: for example the black paint on the wire of the tiger enclosure is covered with moss on the north side and flaked off on the south and the area around the old Discovery Centre looks rather scruffy. I was also displeased by the failure of all my searches to find a worthwhile sandwich - I maintain that if the label says 'chicken and sweet corn' the main contents should not be lettuce and cucumber :mad:
    However there were several sights that I really enjoyed. The nilghai herd on alert after the darting of one of the animals, Emmett (the bull elephant) eating in his yard - the first time I've ever had a clear view of him, the bears and wolverines both very active in the sunshine and best of all, the herd of gaur grazing quietly together as they moved slowly down the slope of their paddock.

Pacu, kiang, FunkyGibbon and 8 others like this.
  12. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wasn't aware there was one!

13. Pacu

So the BBC assumes people know what 'SHOAL' is?

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you are a fellow you should have received one! I did, but couldn't make it

15. Pacu

I am a fellow, I also made a financial contribution towards the aquarium when they asked for one but did not receive any invitation!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. sooty mangabey

Sadly, I feel that this is not untypical of the way in which ZSL treats some of its most loyal supporters.

monster and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I believe it was a random selection of fellows

18. sooty mangabey

If this is true - and I can’t believe that even ZSL would be that cack-handed - then it really would beggar belief. But, surely not!

19. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

With thousands of fellows wanting to go surely that’s the fair option

20. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure if the system works differently for Fellows and Members, but I (as a Member) received the email regarding the bookable-timed-slots for pre-opening viewings of the Aquarium at Whipsnade, and Animal Adventure at London.

pipaluk likes this.