Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monster, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Don't resign from the ZSL Fellowship. Whilst you're a member you have a vote and can try to change things.

pipaluk, Zorro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you Tim, but it is increasingly hard to stomach the seemingly eye-rolling embarrassment/contempt that those within the upper echelons of ZSL seem to have towards Whipsnade. The place derserves better.

I shall continue to fight the good fight!

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Yes, but how?

I too have been contemplating giving up my fellowship. I find both zoos unexciting, depressing, and deeply, deeply frustrating. Perusing the recently-published inventories just crystallises these feelings.

I get the feeling - possibly unfairly - that the ZSL management think the two zoos are great, still world leaders. If this is indeed the case, it suggests a lack of knowledge of European zoos: as has been discussed here on many occasions, London or Whipsnade would struggle to make it in to any Top 50 on anything other than historical grounds.

What can a fellow who has little if any contact with other fellows do to voice his or her displeasure and dismay?

4. Panthera1981

Especially when one asks these sorts of questions towards those within ZSL and they’re met with the same rehearsed, stage-managed, withering dismissive response.

I don’t care anymore how proud ZSL are of Land of Lions-they’ve been bleating on about it now in membership renewal letters for the past 2 years!!! Sort out your Living Collections!

pipaluk, Pertinax and sooty mangabey like this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for enlightening me about the fate of the Thommies... my guess is this acquisition of several antelope species to bolster numbers won't be repeated...its not so long ago Whipsnade brought back American bison after requests from locals about 'Bison hill' -but now its empty again...:rolleyes:

6. Panthera1981

The same, short term thinking applied to Wild Wild Whipsnade however the breeding with wolverine seems to finally bearing results. The less said about the fate of the wolves and moose the better I think.

I honestly don’t think ZSL has, or knows, a long term strategy for Whipsnade-perhaps they never had one! Maybe they’ll let it reach its centenary then sell it off to prop up Regents Park. And, if that’s the case, it’ll be a damn shame because the site’s a blank canvas unhindered by the constraints that hold down London Zoo.

7. Pertinax

Eaxactly...much trumpeted at the time as a new (and economical) development, and now, only such a few years later, its barely recognisable as a stand-alone area. Unfortunately this kind of short-term thinking seems common place there nowadays. Its why I doubt any further attempt will be made to persevere with any of those small ungulate groups that were added not so long ago. Of these, only the re-established Nilgai have seemed to prosper. But that success is then cancelled out by losing the Axis deer!

Looking at the recent inventory, a number of species are now single sex and in tiny number but they just seem content to keep them that way. Of course we all remember the past in our favourite zoos and wildlife parks with rose-tinted spectacles to an extent, but from memory the Whipsnade of my youth was very different from today.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019
    StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Regent

Regent Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As you are a Fellow of ZSL, surely you and your colleagues have a voice at the AGM. You may find that there are a number of Fellows who feel like you that London and Whipsnade need to be uplifted. You have a vote, can't you use that at the AGM

9. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

Whipsnade only last year got its own management as they used to be controlled by people in London and a volunteer told me because they now have there own management they can now apply for funding and new exhibits this only happened since Dominic Jeremy started

Also let’s not forget Whipsnade have the largest herd of Asian elephants in the UK plus probably the best facility for them

10. Pertinax

Its not new exhibits they need- its managing the existing species better. Having a good Elephant group doesn't excuse the other shortcomings in any way IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Apr 2019
    14556, Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  11. robert everett

Funding also means refurbishment for existing buildings etc such as the lick of paint the lions are getting at the moment

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Apr 2019
  12. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

robert everett likes this.
  13. robert everett

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How much time should they have? Both zoos are not in a good way at the moment ( ZSL management may point to increased visitors as an argument against this opinion,, but most zoos are increasing visitor numbers, it is not necessarily a sign of good health!). It's a question of priorities, which ZSL seem to get consistently wrong - flash multi million exhibits for one or a few species at London, whilst a fraction of that could improve both zoos. The mappins, aquarium, Casson and North Bank meanwhile have been left to rot and Whipsnade has begun a steady decline over the last few years which the new 'aquarium' certainly won't fix!

Shorts, Crowthorne and ThylacineAlive like this.
  15. robert everett

I think your slightly over negative about it all unless you know the complexities of running ZSL look at all the conservation they do all of that seems to be ignored

Why do you not think the aquarium will be any good? I think it will be a nice edition next to the butterfly house

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Because the new aquarium will not make up for the loss of the London Zoo one and I don't think an aquarium is what Whipsnade needs at the current time.

Shorts and sooty mangabey like this.
  17. robert everett

I think it’s a good opportunity with the closing of the London aquarium for ZSL to reconfigure what species they have so they do not waste time and money on species which are not critically endangered plus their will be 10 habitats in the new aquarium

18. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5 million on Land of the Lions and 7 million now on the Snowdon Aviary. That’s 12 million that would have stretched a lot further at Whipsnade then it has in Regent’s Park.

ThylacineAlive, Zorro and pipaluk like this.
  19. robert everett

I aggre although I think the Snowdon will be better than land of the lions I’d wish they would build the elephant a bigger pool!!

20. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

But the Snowdon is being renovated for - and someone please correct me if I’ve got my numbers wrong here - roughly 7 times what Yorkshire Wildlife spent on their polar bear exhibits? Like I understand that London’s colobuses need improved facilities but the world is full of colobus monkey enclosures don’t cost millions of pounds. If only ZSL had a spacious well-wooded Site B famously lacking in primates at their disposal! Whipsnade is looking a little too empty for the equivalent of 12 Project Polars to be sunk into showy, costly renovations at London.

pipaluk and ThylacineAlive like this.