Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lafone, 5 Jan 2022.

1. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

It was suggested when I visited on Monday that the last red panda will be moved from the circle enclosure near the otters to the old squirrel monkey enclosure which is just nearby. Bit of a ‘keeper told me’ from another regular visitor so take with a pinch of salt but could be the least work to the old enclosure (which wouldn’t hold another escape prone species like the long rumoured macaques without new fences etc).

The ostrich was looking ok and roaming about mouthing at the visitors and apparently wishing he was a zebra but still alone in that massive space behind the lion enclosure.

The cheetah now has access to both paddocks with the gate open between the two and was occupying and exercising in the left hand side one whose rock shelter is visible from the glass fronted viewing area.

Max Blundell likes this.
  2. Ectotherm

Ectotherm Active Member

The Cheetah? singular? I remember when they got rid of that awful blue shed, and the cheetah's returned to cheetah rock. And the 2 boys were visible in their paddock most times.

What did I miss? what happened to the girls, and the other boy?

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jan 2022
  3. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Happy to be corrected. In the Jan 21 audit there were 3 (1m 2 x female) indeed. Obviously they were always rotated into the paddocks but from speaking to people at the exhibit and seeing the paddock use it seems to be just one. Someone else might have info on that not being the case though and there may be something off show. There used to be one per paddock with access from both house ends but for some time the left paddock was closed off and no cheetahs were in it - now the middle gate is open and only one entrance to the house in the back is open (on the right side).

4. Ectotherm

Ectotherm Active Member

I wasn't questioning you, or disbelieving you. I was just very surprised at the 1 comment.

The 2 boys were always in the right side padlock and the 5 girls in the left.
    even on the updated stock take comment, there is still 1 male and 3 females "Missing"

5. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Sorry always harder on the internet typing / meaning wise I really meant I was genuinely happy to be corrected :) I’d rather there wasn’t just one!

6. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Whipsnade began it's annual stock check today

One, Zoo, Three...

So once complete and published that should let us know what they have at the moment, a useful update given all the departures of one sort or another in 2021.

7. AlexanderTHG

AlexanderTHG Well-Known Member

When I went for a lookout lodge experience in June, I was told that they currently had 1.1, a brother and sister. On my visits in the summer months, there was often a cheetah in each enclosure. However in the last couple of visits, I only saw one (in the right enclosure). I haven’t noticed weather the two were connected, so it may well be that they only have the one left. Hopefully they will get another one soon, so they can continue their excellent breeding record.

8. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The latest Fellows newsletter has been published.

Regarding the lions, it states that, whilst the exhibit will be empty for a short period, ZSL is “committed” to maintaining lions at Whipsnade.

So, hopefully, the wheels are already in motion.

Max Blundell likes this.
  9. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Yes was cheered to see that as they don’t need to say that if they aren’t going to lion us up.

10. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Some local media coverage on the topic now

Whipsnade Zoo lion habitat 'lays empty' after deaths of beloved animals

"It also means that for the first time in decades, Whipsnade Zoo's lion habitat lays empty. African lions are an iconic species for the zoo, but also an important species in terms of our conservation aims.

"We are committed to caring for lions at Whipsnade and committed to ensuring that any future pride we care for makes the maximum possible contribution to the conservation and protection of their species. For this reason, there will be a period of time in which the Whipsnade lion habitat will remain empty, while we find and prepare the right breeding group."

Last edited: 7 Jan 2022
  11. rjh

rjh Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZSL Whipsnade posted this reply on facebook 4 days ago to a comment asking if there was only one Cheetah now.

"ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Hi there, sadly, George was euthanised in October due to poor health conditions caused by old age. George had been unwell for a while, and receiving excellent care from our vets and keepers. Recently he was showing signs of deterioration, and it was decided that the kindest option was to euthanise him to prevent any suffering."

Jambo and Jedd Cullinan like this.
  12. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whipsnade have lost few Individuals in the last 4 years,
    1 x elephant
    1 x white rhino
    1 x cheetah
    6 x lions
    2 x brown bears

And any other animals I've missed

13. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's a shame - with the single paddock use it looked like only one left. Poor old George, he was a good looking cheetah.

14. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here's the photo regarding the lions [​IMG]

Lafone likes this.
  15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Let's face it, much as I hate to admit it, both ZSL zoos are going down the pan!! It is one bad news story after the other. As a long standing fellow I am very distressed by what is(or rather isn't) happening!!

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jan 2022
    Zorro likes this.
  16. Embu

I don't want to sound like I'm defending ZSL (I've never visited either zoo) but with plans for a new lion pride and the White rhino breeding programme having started both at Whipsnade, isn't this news to be encouraged? ( I'm not wanting to start an argument with anyone I'm just intrigued by regular visitors opinions of the place.)

17. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Haven’t they also lost 2 Sri Lanka sloth bears.. as use to be 3 now just Colombo left! Also the tiger Cubs were 4 and 1 died in infancy so could be counted as another loss to the 3 males they have

18. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

The issues have been building really and in the last year or so the lack of restocking etc is a concern.

The spider monkeys all moved to ZSL London, with nothing to replace, the sea lions went to YWP, nothing more incoming to replace them and the notable / big exhibits where there were groups of animals (often breeding) are going down to one (cheetah, sloth bear, bear) or none (lions). It needs a bit of a rethink or replan really. Some of the collection is aging (the conversation about the lions will be back on about the chimps as time moves on for example).

Much of the signage is now noticeably way behind other zoos (the tiger enclosure pictures are all the tigers when they were cubs over three years ago for example), faded and outdated and educational material is looking pretty tired in a lot of areas - the education message is lacking. The lack of money is pretty obvious.

It's good news they say they will get more lions but the timetable to reopen will be the interesting thing. It does feel like being the poorer cousin to London has really hit now, in terms of where the investment is going and given the huge impact of the pandemic it's not surprising really. This is the time that income impact is being seen, combined with a lot of animals of a 'certain age'.

It is still a lovely place to visit and there are some great animals to see, in good spaces. But there's a sense of slide. I hope as income picks back up there is a good strategy to make all of Whipsnade that it could be.

19. AlexanderTHG

AlexanderTHG Well-Known Member

Very well said. Couldn’t have put it better myself.

On a side note, where did the spider monkeys live, or do you mean the squirrel monkeys?

20. Embu

Ahh OK I see what you mean now. They can't use the pandemic as an excuse (I'd forgotten about the sealions move to YWP).

Am I correct in thinking about 10 years ago they created a wild area bringing in species that used to live in Britain hundreds/thousands of years ago? Bison, lynx, wolverine? If they did do this have these now died/moved on and is the area no longer?