Join our zoo community

Zürich Zoo Zürich Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by JurassicMax, 28 Mar 2021.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zurich is one of few zoos worldwide where Galapagos tortoises breed, but as subspecific hybrids. Any plans to get a female of the same subspecies?

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nigrita is the seasoned older female. Where did you hear about firsttimer. They have one other adult female.

Coöperation in Europe for the few non Zuerich born Galapagos needed. I believe there are Some nigrita/porteri males around. Praha Zoo has one F.i.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was mentioned in the note I found.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think there are any more C. becki in Europe, and it's almost impossible to get new ones from Ecuador. The hybrid pair (Nigrita and Jumbo) started breeding on a regular base in the 90s, and don't know if it makes much sense to separate the pair, as still no other European zoo archived breeding success.

6. TigerStripe

TigerStripe Well-Known Member

White Rhino ‘Kimba’ has arrived at Zurich Zoo from Schwerin in Germany. He was born at Knowsley Safari in the UK to Piglet and Budweiser, and I presume the plan is to breed Kimba to Tanda, and in the future, Teshi, Thelathini and Ushindi, Tanda’s children from her time at Ramat Gan Safari in Israel :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

It does not depend upon breeding success. It requires setting up correct species breeding individuals. Nigrita is a porteri and male Jumbo a becki. The offspring are hybrids.

8. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, when start costruction new Land pantanal ?

10. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

I think we can wait at least for 2 years. On the zoo's website, it's said that the opening is planned for 2025. But maybe that we'll get more information with the new masterplan, that is going to be released this month.

leone and HungarianBison like this.
  11. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

I'm really excited by this announcement !

13. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope it will be covered here in detail :)

snowleopard and Antoine like this.
  14. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very exciting!!

15. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume that you have to wait at least until tomorrow...;)

16. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

The zoo has announced on Instagram a new species that will be part of the new masterplan : okapis !! We will have further information tomorrow.

17. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo Zurich Masterplan 2050 'Zoo of the Future'

teaser video:
    detailed info (with links to brochures etc.): Medien-Apéro September: Entwicklungsplan 2050 | Zoo Zürich
    40-page brochure with images and detailed sketches: https://www.zoo.ch/sites/default/files/media/file/ZooZ%C3%BCrich_IH_DS_low.pdf

Doesn't look bad at all!

A new conservation center at Masoala, Pantanal aviary, Kongo (as aviary, rotation exhibits), research station in the exotarium, Sumatra rainforest (as aviary), ocean coast, 'cat forest' (rotation exhibits interspersed with aviaries), 'slow island' on island endemics (as aviary), Kaeng Krachan as aviary (!), an endangered species breeding center focussed on birds, ...

New species include: giant otter, drills, guenons, mangabey, okapi, bongo, pygmy hippo, Malayan tapir, babirusa, sumatran deer, manati, false gharial, Steller's sea lion, Humboldt penguins (a colony of 100), pheasants, passerines, tree kangaroo, Komodo dragon, storks, hornbills, kakadu, Malayan deer, Malayan suiformes, Siamangs, Malayan birds, ...

Last edited: 15 Sep 2021
  18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for posting @antonmuster. The 4 minute video seems to be Zurich's way of saying, "hey, we already know that we are one of the best zoos in the world, but wait until you see what we do next!". :) Other than the outdated Great Ape House, Zurich is clearly an outstanding zoo right now with very few flaws.

The plans look exciting and with the video, the 40-page document and all of the numerous beautiful images it appears that Zurich will remain one of the premier zoos on the planet. The only surprise to me is that the plan is for the next 30 years, which is perhaps the longest time frame for a Master Plan that I've ever seen.

19. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, antonmuster, but I allow myself to be a little more precise about the new species you have listed. Not all of them are KEY species (= more or less sure that they will be acquired), most are just an "idea" at the moment.
    Also, Humboldt penguins, aren't new. They are already in the zoo (Maybe the Siamangs too, I heart today that there might be a pair behind the scenes).
    (Hope this doesn't come rude).

Ref. the Manatees: Indeed, there is the idea to put Caribbean Manatees(!!!!) into the Sumatra-Rainforest-exhibit as a representative of the Dugong...

20. Kifaru Bwana

Fine, but in principle this Masterplan 2050 looks very promising given the target and choice species intended for the animal collection.