Join our zoo community

Zürich Zoo Zurich Zoo News

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by kiang, 24 Jul 2009.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

zoomaniac, what is happening rhino wise at Zuerich?

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Kifaru Bwana:

No change afaik (so no pregnancy). But I will ask the staff when I will go there again (within the next 2 weeks).

All I know is that they will change - unfortunately imo - the species in future (white rhinos instead of the black rhinos), when they start building a new African savanna exhibit (planned to be realised between 2016 to 2020)

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

What is the schedule for completion of the elephant enclosure?

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Due to open in Summer 2014. It looks very impressive so far. I took an aerial photo of the enormous site in June but it was unfortunately lost.

6. zoomaniac

@Shirkuma: devilfish was faster...;)

@Kifaru Bwana: More info about the rhinos. I was told that the bull is not able to breed (seems to be a "technical" thing).

7. Kifaru Bwana

That is really too bad ..., after all this time!

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

An Elephant calf is expected at Zurich in Summer 2014 to an un-named female. The new elephant park is planned to be completed around the same time as the calf will be born
    Google Translate

9. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

The pregnant female is"Indi", the opening date for the new elephant exhibit/house is June, 7, and from Heidelberg a young bull named Thai will come to Zürich.

10. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

It is nice, but I found the way the smaller footpaths were shown on the previous edition to be very practical - I'm not sure how this will compare. Thanks for sharing the link.

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

What species will be included in the new Mongolian area? Presumably the wolves will stay where they are?

14. Kifaru Bwana

Bactrian - well domesticated - and - also domesticated - yak.

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Snow leopard female Dshamilja gave birth to twins :)

16. zooboy28

That is a huge area for two domestic species! The camels are currently kept in an adjacent paddock (with Persian Gazelles? - what will become of them), in an area with various hoofstock species. Presumably most of these species will eventually move to the African Savannah exhibit. What will happen to this area long-term?

17. zoomaniac

@zooboy28: What do you mean with "in an area with various hoofstock species"? Beside the Bactrian Camels and the Persian Goitered Gazelles (who by the way would not really fit in an African Savannah) there is no other hoofstock in this exhibit. Hoofstock in adjacted areas will - except for the Chapman Zebras, who will move to the Savannah when it is built - stay where they are. So for long-term, it will stay an Asian themed area.

Afaik, there is no decision made what will happen with the Goitered Gazelles. There are 3 possibilities:
    1. They can join the Arabian Oryx in their exhibit
    2. They can be the third species in the new Mongolian steppe (geografically the wrong SUBspecies, but who cares?)
    3. They will be moved to another zoo.

And yes, a huge area for 2 domestic species (and I as a zoodirector would have used that space for other animals). But on the other hand, together with the "stay-over-night" Mongolian tents, I bet it will become a crowd pleaser.
    So don't shake your head about the space Zoo Zurich give for domestic animals, rather shake your head about the vanishing exotics (and the space that is wasted for common native animals) in Australian zoos...;)

18. zooboy28

I'm not shaking my head :p, Zurich still has a large collection of hoofstock for a city zoo (which will hopefully grow when the African Savannah opens?), so as long as they aren't replacing anything with domestics I don't mind :D

By "in an area", I meant the other exhibits for zebra, oryx, nilgai, thamin, etc. An "Indian" exhibit/s (nilgai, thamin, blackbuck) where the zebra/oryx are would be nice to pair with the lion exhibit above, and then the lower exhibit could be used for the oryx and gazelles in a desert themed enclosure.

I don't think space is wasted on common natives in Australian zoos, showcasing natives is key for attracting tourists and educating locals. Obviously the dwindling exotic diversity is an issue though ;)

19. zoomaniac

You're still awake (must be night in Australia when I estimate the time zones correctly)?

For the African Savannah, Giraffes and at least one specie of "Antilope" (Greater Kudu again?) is planned. So your hopes/wishes will fullfilled.:)

To the Common Australian natives: Hmmh, Red Kangaroos, Emus, Bennett Wallabies - whom I consider as COMMON Australian Natives - can be found in many European and North American zoos. Even Koalas are not that rare as they were say 20 years ago. But all in all I guess you're right.

Still one objection: When I look at the ticket prices (one day visit) for most Australian zoos, I would say that most tourist will go just in one zoo (and only once) during their tripp in OZ. 40 Australian Dollars and more per adult!!!!! That is a rip-off (that's more then any zoo ticket in the often expensive called Switzerland and in the same level as a ticket for San Diego zoo - one of the most expensive zoos in USA -, but there are guided bus tours and aerial tram included).

20. zooboy28

Speaking of hoofstock, although very small, does Zurich still have mousedeer? They were in the elephant house, will they be displayed in the new elephant house, or somewhere else, or not at all? What about the other species that were there (birds and squirrels)?

Time zone wise, Australia is 8 hours ahead of Switzerland (at least at the moment), so while its noon/midday for you, its 8pm here, so not quite my bedtime :D

Zoos are fairly expensive here, especially the big ones (Taronga and Australia Zoo being especially pricey - Melbourne & Adelaide are $30. The wildlife parks are generally much cheaper (but much smaller obviously). Most entertainment-type things are fairly expensive in Australia for some reason though.