Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2012 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 27 Jan 2012.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned another a number of threads that she was due this year, I know it was announced earlier on Facebook, didn't know it was in March though.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well the end of March fits with when they last did AI on her!

4. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

They also mentioned on their Facebook that they would be announcing sometime this next week regarding the amur leopards.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Elephants- I do find it rather irritating to read their press statement about this- under normal circumstances, i.e. with a bull present, Tara would probably have had her first calf some while ago, and Tonzi , Minbu and Norjahan would have calves of various ages creating a proper family group. They say they've had three successful births (of which one died) whereas they should really have had many times that number from these elephants by now.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  6. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Firstly, I think we now have two threads for Twycross zoo news 2012, to avoid confusion would it be best to close one. The elephants, I admire very much the improvements that have been made to this exhibit in recent years, i.e, the pool and the sanding of most of the enclosure flooring, both inside and out. I also find the new walkway around the elephant enclosure both pleasant and attractive. I do think, however, that the money spent on this would have been better spent on a facility to keep a bull elephant, there is certainly plenty of space next to the current elephant accommodation the facilitate this, also the cost of elephant A.I. £20,000 a shot I understand. Just to clarify, I meant the money spent on the walkway, not the pool, sanding etc.

7. Pertinax

I think Twycross' Elephant enclosure is their best exhibit yet, particularly since the larger grass paddock was added. If a lot of their other exhibits were up to that standard I think there wouldn't be much to complain about.

But it still irks me rather how they stress the importance of every new baby elephant born there, yet the reality is that with no bull, the three adult females are having their breeding lives largely wasted. If the 'no bull' decision is a permanent one then I think they should really house non-breeders only.

8. Jordan-Jaguar97

I personally feel that if they build a bull barn (assuming the construction took a year or two) then they could have Nayan from Chester but the last I heard there was no plans in place to bring in a breeding bull.

The elephant exhibit itself looks rather pleasant but with the elephants being in the exhibit most of the time the grass paddock hasn't been used for a while. I know that MT uploaded a photo of them recently on the grass paddock though.

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I was with Malayan tapir the day that picture was taken,and actually remarked that it was only the 3rd time I had ever seen the Elephants use that paddock,out of about 40 visits since that paddock had been added!

As for a Bull house being built the only place they could build it would be either on the area on which the Asian Carnivors or where the Gorilla House is!

Also have you thought that Nayan may already have a home lined when its time for him to leave Chester,because I know Chester already have Upali's replacement lined up and that move is still many years off!!!!

10. Pertinax

I think Nayan is most likely too young and small to breed with mature females. Young bulls do mate adult females sometimes and father calves but an adult bull physically taller than the cows and psychologically able to dominate them would be a better bet for successful mating.

But sadly it ain't going to happen so its all theoretical anyway.;)

11. Jordan-Jaguar97

A good point made, Chester and Whipsnade send there young bulls to other collections at around the same age, Euan the calf at Whipsnade was sent to Spain at six as did Tunga. I'm not speculating here but I think that Nayan will be leaving at around six like most males do in the wild.;)

12. Pertinax

I think you'll find in the wild young bulls stay in their natal groups quite a lot longer. In zoos which don't have the space(or some other reason) to hold them as long, six is about the earliest age they can be moved but its far from ideal as they are really too young. There is a parallel here with male gorillas in zoos too.

13. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How is this not speculating?

14. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Agreed - to indulge in conjectural thought = speculation
    my english teacher would have been proud of me :D I can arrange an introduction if you like - she's probably at least 90 now but knowing her she'll be arguing with the grim reaper over the terms and conditions of death!!

15. Pertinax

He just needed to change one word- the 'not' to an 'am'.

Its okay Jordan, we know what you mean- you are trying not to speculate. Though as I've said before, I don't see any harm in a little speculation on here-as long as its of the realistic/sensible sort.;)

16. Jordan-Jaguar97

Sorry my English skills have been a little poor lately.:(

17. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how your're defining 'hasnt been used for a while'' but they were in the grass paddock today having a high old time. Nor Jahan in particular was having fun climbing up and down the banking after those must have stems of grass and was very pleased with herself.

On another note - saw the martens today for thefirst time - they are marvellous. Very lively, chasing about and totally stunning.

18. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I was chatting with the team leader of elephants at another zoo this week and we were discussing how little we'd seen the elephants at Twycross actually using the grass paddock.

My experience as been the same as zoogiraffe's, namely that they're hardly ever seen there. Would anyone know - or care to speculate - why that is?

19. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm willing to speculate that they want to keep the grass trimmed yet in piece. I hate to point out the obvious but Twycross seem to have an obsession with "garden lawn" grass! Look at the ape/camel/paddock/any primate enclosure... Seriously what's wrong with a bit of foliage? Other less visited places can manage it, why can't the World Primate Cemtre do it? :p

20. Pertinax

The Elephants would be very heavy on an area like that if given constant access. It would look completely bare like Chester's after a while. My guess would be they only gave them occassional access to allow the grass to remain lush so when they do use it, they can feed from it, without removing/uprooting the grass and exposing the topsoil. I suspect its more for the elephant's benefit than the 'look' of it, or some of both.