Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Before the Dudley Zoo news 2017 thread gets underway I thought I’d do a quick summary, along with some personal ramblings, of some of the major developments at DZG in 2016...

• Firstly, a large naturalistic new enclosure for Sulawesi macaques was built on the steep grassy hillside to the left of the vintage chairlift, incorporating several very large trees that the macaques are free to climb. The former shop building at the base was turned into small basic housing and indoor viewing area. The outdoor area is great, but I do find it very awkward to view. It does give you something else to look at when going up the chairlift (the geladas are to the right), but the problem is that’s the only way you’re able to see the enclosure properly.

• The former Monkey Tails walkthrough was turned into a lorikeet experience (roughly 28 rainbow lorikeets and at least one black-capped and one green-naped). £40,000 went towards a new heating system and pool filtration system for the building’s ponds which now house koi carp, goldfish and terrapins. The white-throated monitor lizard enclosure was given a revamp. Free-roaming roul roul partridges were added and the secondary meerkat enclosure was replaced with a new entrance area where visitors can buy nectar pots to feed the lorikeets. I quite liked Monkey Tails, with its free roaming squirrel monkeys, saki monkeys, Goeldi’s monkeys and titi monkeys. However, I do appreciate that due to the limitations of the building it was very difficult to care for/ manage them. I also can’t deny that the lorikeet walkthrough is extremely popular, much more so than Monkey Tails ever was, and probably making them a little money.

• The flamingo enclosure was given a revamp. The enclosure was generally tidied up, with new turf added and the pool re-done (although not enlarged at all to my eyes as was originally intended). A fancy new fox-proof, wind-proof fence was put up along with a new viewing area. The old garden shed I mean indoor area was removed and the enclosure was extended a little around to the right. A much larger and nicer flamingo house was built that included an indoor pool and two large viewing windows to enable visitors to see the birds when they are inside. The enclosure was also given its very own logo. I think the general consensus is that while the improvements to the enclosure aren’t huge, and were not desperately needed (apart from the house), and quite expensive, they are improvements nonetheless and have smartened up one of the first enclosures visitors see, thus giving them a much better first impression (at least once they’ve got over the horror that is the funfair, which sadly remains). A group of 20 Chilean flamingos then joined DZG’s original group of 8 hybrids.

• The useless sensory garden was completely flattened (including the trees). They tarmacked over it then covered it in a layer of gravel. It’s a big space. I think it’ll eventually become a picnic area or a special area for events. I doubt there’ll ever be any large enclosures built on there; part of the perimeter wall is ‘medieval’ and they can’t build anything too tall because they’re not allowed to block the view of the castle from the road (that’s why the nearby former elephant house Tecton is so low).

• The former cassowary enclosure, which had been empty for a couple of years, was revamped and extended. It then became home to a female giant anteater; a nice new species for Dudley. Recently, the former babirusa enclosure next door has also started to undergo a rather nice makeover to become another giant anteater enclosure! I presume this is for a male that may be arriving soon.

• Inca, the oldest Asiatic black bear in Europe and possibly the world, turned 36. She also became the last of her kind in the UK after a male called Dennis at Heythrop sadly passed away.

• Two-year-old snow leopard Makulu, who was born at DZG, left Dudley for Darjeeling zoo in the Himalayas as part of a global breeding programme. Makulu’s mum Nanga died just before he left, after giving birth to a male cub called Milo. Milo was then being hand-reared but sadly died after 4 weeks. A new female, called Taiga, has now arrived and has been successfully introduced to the zoo’s male Margaash.

• The zoo was awarded gold in the BIAZA 50th Anniversary awards for their conservation project with the Fen raft spider.

• After first trialling the capuchins, the black howler monkeys moved into the right hand Tecton of the triple Tecton complex; formerly home to the Sulawesi Macaques. A large new house was built outside the Tecton and linked by a rope ladder. The enclosure was also given a revamp; with more height, climbing opportunities and foliage added.

• DZG favourite Cleo, the 28-year-old Patagonian sea lion, sadly passed away. The 3 new females and the impressive new male, who all arrived last year from France, were finally introduced to each other.

• The zoo launched a new-look website, which looks fantastic. They also launched a new-look logo, which looks a bit weak, but I'll get used to it.

• The part of the Discovery Centre that was once home to a large array of reptiles and invertebrates has been replaced with some chairs and tables, presumably to accommodate an increase in bookings for school trips and birthday parties. Even though education is important and I want the zoo to make money I find this a bit disappointing. I just hope the animals that have been displaced go back on display in another part of the zoo, although I’m not sure where.

• DZG favourite Bart (Geoffroy’s cat) passed away aged 22, holding the captive lifespan record for his species.

• The zoo continued its success with breeding pygmy marmosets.

• The reptile house continued to improve, with enclosures being repaired and interesting new species being added.

• Finally, 2016 has seen the highest number of visitors in over 30 years.

So, all in all a good year for DZG as it continues to improve at an ever increasing rate. Massive well done and thanks to all the staff and volunteers. 2017, the zoo’s 80th year, looks set to be even better...

Things to look out for in 2017:

- The has zoo announced that the proceeds of their 2017 calendar will be going towards an “orangutan enclosure project”. Obviously, it’s highly unlikely that anything will be happening for a few years yet, but any more information from this glimmer of hope would be very nice indeed.

- Any news on the bear ravine Tecton. It has been fully restored and looks great, but it isn’t open to walk along and doesn’t really hold any animals that do it any justice at present (currently a grass paddock for goats, guanacos and rheas). It isn’t currently the impressive flagship exhibit that it was probably intended to be. However, I don’t blame them. There must be so much red tape, expense and so many issues to overcome that, in the end, it probably just isn’t worth it. Get the rest of the zoo done first.

- Will the funfair be staying or going this year? A question that gets asked every year. However, if the zoo is making some money off it, money that then gets put back into improving the rest of the zoo, then I suppose I can turn a blind eye for a little while longer.

- The possibility there could be Sumatran tiger cubs at Dudley this year. This would be huge for the zoo.

- The possibility there could be lion or Patagonian sea lion births this year. These seem a bit more unlikely.

- Any news that the Bactrian camels may be given more room.

The zoo has already confirmed it is spending a total of £295,000 on SIX new projects in 2017:

1. £90,000 will be spent to revamp the farmyard. It will be extended and a much larger barn will be built.

2. £20,000 will be spent on a rebuild of a larger outdoor enclosure for the group of yellow-breasted capuchins.

3. £25,000 will be spent on demolishing Bart’s old enclosure to make way for an extension to the internal den for the Carpathian lynx. It will include new climbing frames and a new viewing area.

4. The triple parrot aviaries next to the otters will be demolished to make way for one large mixed species aviary. This is set to cost £40,000.

5. Now that the new female has arrived and has been successfully introduced to the male, £100,000 will be spent extending the snow leopard enclosure, which should see it double in size and include new viewing areas and platforms.

6. The Queen Mary aviary will get a £20,000 overhaul to see it turn into a breeding facility for the zoo’s rainbow lorikeets.

http://www.dudleyzoo.org.uk/anniversary-plans/

http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2016/12/26/dudley-zoo-set-for-275k-revamp-bringing-visitors-closer-to-animals/

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

All collected together like this we can see it was really a good year for DZG.
    The projects announced for next year are all promising, but it looks like it will be another year of fractional gains rather than the big breakthough I imagine most Dudley regulars are hoping to see one day.

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for a really great post Benosaurus!

Agreed, but I'll take fractional gains (if that's all that's available) given the far worse alternatives of stagnation or going backwards (both of which have been witnessed at Dudley in the not so distant past). I'd still like to see the Orang enclosure bulldozed though (on the basis it's unlikely to meet modern standards any time soon).

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Zoo has announced its aim to re-open the iconic former Tropical Bird House Tecton as an indoor exhibit for a variety of South American species, including large hairy armadillos, sloths and marmosets and tamarins. The brand new £50,000 exhibit is set to be unveiled on Saturday, May 6 – the Zoo's 80th anniversary.

DZG enters its 80th year! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

I'm really pleased to hear that the Zoo is bringing in more new species.

5. FunkyGibbon

Is this the Tecton directly above the Lion Enclosure?
    Great news.

6. FunkyGibbon

If I had bothered to read the link I would have known it is indeed this one. I'm intrigued to see how they use what seems to be quite a small space; you'd expect there to be outdoor enclosures as well but it's not clear where they'll go. All very interesting, commendable in that they are bringing more of the zoo's heritage back into use, and encouraging because it raises hopes that we'll see something similar done with the Bear Ravine in the future.

pipaluk likes this.
  7. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The outdoor enclosures could be built or adapted by using the old walkway around the outside of the building as this area as not been used by the public for quite some time.
    Just putting temp woodwork and netting I'm sure would be allowed by the council as long as it can be removed at a later date without damaging the original walkway.

Benosaurus likes this.
  8. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

In my eyes this is the most exciting development of 2017 planned for Dudley and it is commendable that they are utilising this space, visited on Friday for the first time in 4 years and I was very impressed with the improvements which have took place it seems that Dudley is heading in the right direction. Previously i thought that the place was a little tired but now it seems that most places in the Zoo have benifited from being spruced up admittedly their are still areas which require work but with limited funds this is no suprise. As an added note the work that they have done on the heritage aspects of the Zoo is admirable and by utilising some of the older enclosures and renovating them means that the zoo still has lots of character.

pipaluk likes this.
  9. Benosaurus

The zoo has posted an article advertising hosting wedding receptions at the zoo that includes the quote;

“Couples can celebrate in the iconic Queen Mary Ballroom or party the evening away in a stunning
    marquee in our Sensory Garden."

A unique wedding venue! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

So that's what it's for.

10. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can someone tell me a bit more about the orang groupings here? Does Jorong share with Jazz and Sprout, or does Benji? Or do both alternate? Or do the two males live alone and the two ladies live together? Thanks :)

11. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I was there in June 2016, the group was organized to Benji having the smaller enclosure and his side to the indoor enclosure. Jorong had access to the outdoor enclosure and Jaz and Sprout where in the indoor enclosure but Jorong and Jaz + Sprout are switched daily between the indoor and outdoors.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe it is the latter and the normal regime is; Jazz and Sprout together/Jorong single/Benji single. MagpieGoose's post above seems to bear out it is still that way.

Jorong was removed from his mate and daughter as he was pestering them, I don't know if he's been with them since but rather doubt it. AFAIK Benji has never been with them, he's an older non-breeder whom Dudley acquired many years ago now (potentially as a breeding male) - Jorong was acquired subsequently as breeding male.

13. Benosaurus

There is a third indoor space, which is off show, that Jorong has all to himself (I think that's where Azimat lived before she died). He alternates with Jazz & Sprout for access to the larger of the two outdoor areas.

And yes, Benji has an indoor area and the other outdoor area all to himself.

Not exactly an ideal set up. Perhaps one of the males should go elsewhere for the time being. This may also make it easier for the zoo to make improvements to the enclosure (depending on how drastic they are).

14. Pertinax

Benjamin/Benji has always been completely surplus for them since turning out to be a non-breeder and I don't think he has been kept anything but singly for many years now. However its not easy to find another home for an adult male Orangutan in that category- probably why he has never left Dudley.

15. Pertinax

When the Ape House contained three species of Apes and had five indoor enclosures on show, there was an additional small sick/quarantine cage offshow at one end of the house( the furthest from the Kitchen/prep room). Maybe it is this area, or its been converted/strengthened to make it larger.

16. Benosaurus

Very interesting. As you know, when they developed the orang house they utilized the old public corridor in front by merging it with some of the 5 old indoor areas set behind.

Purely guesswork, but I reckon on the left, Jazz & Sprout got 1 old area, merged with most of the old corridor.
    In the middle, Jorong got 3 of the old areas merged together, but set back and off show.
    And on the right, Benji got 1 old area, plus the rest of the corridor.

17. Pertinax

Ah, I see it better now. It looks like the area on the left(Jazz and Sprout) encompasses part of the old Gorilla area as I can still see the grille of their cage which was set into the wall adjacent to the prep area. (The two indoor Gorilla cages were slightly bigger/wider than the other three.)

It looks like two or three of the other original cages have been made offshow by blocking up the old windows. Its likely the little sick/quarantine cage may still be in the little room at the far(righthand end) but maybe that's just a storeroom now. It would never hold an adult male Orangutan that's for sure!

It seems when inside not all four can be seen at once, and Jorong is either in the offshow part- or has access onshow outdoors.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2017
    Benosaurus likes this.
  18. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And drastic they would need to be. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that Dudley will be able to afford an adequate facility for orangs particularly soon: it would surely be preferable for them to go out of the species and keep something better-suited to the exhibit, although naturally this is far easier said than done.

19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In principle I agree completely. At the moment, Chester might be able to house one or two orangs in the old Ape House, as they did for the Blackpool orangs while their home was upgraded: but that building will be demolished or redeveloped quite soon. A temporary move might allow Dudley to rebuild and extend the outdoor exhibits for their orangs, which might be less than ideal - but they did a pretty good job indoors and I think they could make a big improvement without huge expenditure. By modern zoo standards, Dudley's recent projects have been prudent and economical, but on a fairly small scale. New orang construction would be more expensive and require some serious fund-raising, but it's the obvious next step for the zoo.
    Otherwise I don't know of any spare orang housing in British zoos. Would another zoo want or be able to invest in a new orang exhibit for the orangs from Dudley? I imagine that orangs are the most expensive of all creatures to house, with the possible exception of a herd of elephants.

20. Pertinax

There isn't any.;) Regarding other Zoos, YWP are talking about getting Orangs but hopefully they might get Sumatrans( not enough in UK IMO:(). Otherwise there is Monkeyworld but they do not have current facilities to house more , let alone two more adult males.

But the crux of it is I don't think Dudley want to move them out as they are an important species for them- its simply a case of them being stuck in that outdated (although improved) housing without them having the funds to make a major change. And yes, probably the most expensive species to house properly barring the heavyweights- Elephant and Rhino.