Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 31 Dec 2016.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today; curassows and white-winged wood ducks are now in the enclosure that formerly housed Congo peafowl and green woodhoopoes in Gorilla Kingdom, although at least one of the woodhoopoes is still there. Not sure where the peafowl have gone.

2. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There has been no new News on when the Snowdon Avairy will begin Construction to be turned into the Colobus Walkthrough.

The Lastest New Development at London Zoo was the New Squirrel Monkey Indoor Enclosure.

The African Hunting Dogs may left the Zoo to go to Whipsnade Zoo in the Easter 2017.

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What was your source for this information, do you mean all will leave for Whipsnade or just some of them?

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2017
  4. Max Blundell

Well i am just Speculating Because London zoo has a full enclosure of African Hunting Dogs, but i think they may split the pack in half so one lot goes to whipsnade and the other lot stays at London

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2017
  5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Wonderful,speculation like this is just why the zoo professionals in this country laugh at this site!

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Then don't.

Failing that, if you really want to speculate, make it clear you are doing so rather than stating it as if it is a certainty; had pipaluk not questioned you further, and you had not admitted you were posting pure speculation, it is entirely possible that your misinformation would have been taken as fact and repeated elsewhere. This kind of thing does Zoochat no favours whatsoever with the wider zoo community.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Oh, and whilst I am at it - if you think that erratically capitalising every other word in your posts makes you look good..... it really doesn't.

8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Whilst I'm no fan of Max's desire to post when he has nothing to say, nor of his very individual approach to capital letters, he did, to be fair, say that the hunting dogs "may" leave London (although he then confused matters by putting "leave" into the past tense - "left" - so I'm not sure where that leaves us....).

Edit: I accidentally quoted from the wrong piece of TLD chastisement - the one which I did quote is bang on!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  9. Max Blundell

sorry, i have just got that habit of putting capital letters in every sentence

10. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Giraffe and Dave both make good points, I'll admit when I started on this website I speculated a lot and I feel I really annoyed the other Zoo chatters. However they told me we can't speculate, it never works out, often we end up being hilariously wrong and disproved. You can speculate yes, just try not to make news out of sheer speculation, unless it comes from a somewhat credible source. It's always best to ask a member of the zoo staff who is likely to know the answers, more so than any of us will!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  11. Max Blundell

Oh ok, so it will be better if i had more proof about the African Hunting Dogs?

12. pipaluk

I wouldn't worry to much about that, it's a side issue! This time of year is the silly season with some members joining the chase to open as many new year 'news' threads as possible without actually posting any news!! Your post contained a 'no news' item, a piece of information on the squirrel monkeys that's been well documented elsewhere & a piece of speculation that although it said 'may' wasn't totally clear it was without inside knowledge.
    Just try not to open new year threads without any 'news' in them! That goes for all the others that are racing to do this too!!

14027, Shorts and zoogiraffe like this.
  13. Charlie Simmomds

Yes If you can back it up then of course! Most zoo news I've learnt comes from observation, you notice what is going on for example, I won't go into much detail on this as it is from another zoo, on the Chester thread, news always comes from those who visit the zoo and notice change or people like me who watch the social media and website. If you were to ask a keeper about the hunting dogs and they gave you a definitive answer, then yes post it as news just don't try and make the news from the little you know!

14. ShonenJake13

Here's some news to start the year off then; I witnessed Mbuti and Oni the okapis mating so here's hoping this will lead to a calf!

Coelacanth18, pipaluk and kiang like this.
  15. Max Blundell

well when i am going to Whipsnade this month so i will ask them about the African Hunting Dogs then.

16. ShonenJake13

Also, according to a keeper they are intending on putting the arboreal alligator lizards onshow, though it hasn't been determined when.

17. Charlie Simmomds

Good idea, just be specific so you know if they will transfer them from London to Whipsnade!

18. Max Blundell

No, but i will post more news when i get it

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

News, speculation and wish-listing are all integral parts of any fan site, it would be strange if ZooChat did not have them. The problem comes when it's unclear which is which, which was arguably the case here.

I think the people who may want to see these threads and this site become purely factual zoo news reporting are generally those who have combinations of the three following factors: the ability to regularly visit many zoos, 'offline' friends who share their passion, and contacts within the zoo community. For many, including me at the moment, ZooChat is the only avenue for expressing our enjoyment of zoos and what others may think of as idle or annoying chatter becomes rather important.

As a side note, and not to excuse or endorse the original post in any way, does anyone really think some or all of the Hunting Dogs at London won't be going to Whipsnade? Of course we don't know this, but it's a pretty straightforward logical assumption.

As a side side note, it's still ok to capitalise the letter 'I' within a sentence. :)

Brum, Zia, Crowthorne and 3 others like this.
  20. pipaluk

I can assure you that I don't want Zoochat to be a purely 'news' or factual site. I think it should be here for all to express opinions and it's healthy that we don't all share the same views or it would be very dull!
    I'm afraid it's just that the New Year rush to open new threads seemingly for the sake of it has irritated me for several years ( as I know it has others).
    If my attitude has offended anyone, I apologise, but it's still my view and I can't be persuaded otherwise!