Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin review - April 2017

Discussion in 'Germany' started by taun, 14 Apr 2017.

1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Well a city break is not a city break without a visit to the zoo. After advice from Animal, I plucked Tierpark the place to go over Zoo Berlin.

Please I may have got species wrong, but I didn't take notes so if I did just point them out.

Why?

Polar bears, Manatees, Musk Ox, Generuks.....being a few of the species I wished to see.

Morning

Arrived early, just before opening (9am, more UK zoos should open at 9am the extra hour helps). First on the list was to see the Polar bears, why? not seen one since my youth and when Chester last had them. On the way we passed the Andean bear exhibit, give me Chester bear enclosure any day, I can see why they are built that way. I think you appreciate the size of them more in enclosures like that of Tierpark.

Onto the Polar bear exhibit, it is a huge (traditional, if I could say that) exhibit. Great views of the bear and I suppose what I enjoyed most was the footprint that was water. Any Polar bear enclosure needs a good sized pool for them to swim and dive in (IMO).

Making our way along the from the bears there is a few bird of prey enclosures. Beyond is a selection of cattle and horses(?) didn't pay too much attention if I am honest, as we were making for Alfred-Brehm house.

Before reaching the Alfred-Brehm house, was side tracked by a small row of enclosures containing Carcal (beautiful cats), Ratels (amazing species, so actives), want to say Civet but my memory fails me and it was a no show and then Banded Mongooses (missed the first visit to these enclosures). Very small enclosures but so was the occupants. And a treat as didn't expect to see these species

Next made way along the outside of Alfred-Brehm house, with its array of cats which is amazing, from Javan Leopards, Clouded Leopards and Servals. Well what a treat. The building is old and maybe not suitable for larger cats (Lions & Bigger tiger species) but for what was on show I didn't have an issue with.

Making way inside you see the true beauty of the house, the cat house in Paris old zoo is amazing but I think this is something else. The walk through with bats surrounded by cats and birds. Its something that needs to be seen, people will probably harshly judge the building from photos. As you make your way towards the back of the building you have these amazing water moated exhibits housing Amur and Indochinese tigers (which are beautiful). They were amazing but then when you see an Amur tiger swimming in the moat it just something you don't often see. The other side of the house had Sumatran tigers and more leopards.

On the way to the Pachyderm house treated to spotted heyneas, in a recently built enclosure(?) again water moated. The thing impressed on me was how much is was open...Chester you don't see bars but Tierpark is a whole new world with its water and dry moats.

Pachyderm house again another step back in time, you really cannot complain about the outdoor spaces (yes more is better). Inside the manatees where just about visible the water was not very clear and can see in time that it would disappear. The echidna was a no show despite a few trips back to try and see it.

We headed back for Polar bear talk, all of which was in German and didn't understand 99% of it, but it was a feeding and talk. Got to see the polar swimming so worth it. After which head back up towards the Pachyderm house via the petting zoo a great old tradition of zoos and one that we seem to have lost mostly here in the UK. Loved it bringing back memories of Chester's (and how tiny that was).

Next planned heading to the mountain landscape, passing giraffees (lovely huge enclosure and house), Mohrr gazelles, Addax, Abrain Oryx (love these) and Generuks (which was a massive no-show and was disappointed not to see them).

Popping in the lemur walk through it was rubbish, what can I say, to compare it I would say Howletts walk through is (or was) at a similar par.....not very good.

We stopped to eat in the monkey house (as it was raining), I didn't expect anything from the monkey house...but oh was I surprised with its array of species to be viewed. Gelada baboons, with a huge outside enclosure, Lar gibbons (as work was being carried out on their enclosure), yellow throated capuchin, cherry crowned mangabeys some of the treats on offer. Just didn't expect such a spacious house.

Afternoon

Mountain landscape is a treat with Sichuan Takins and Markhors. Markhors, there must have been around 10 animals, its very annoying that to see them in the UK you have to travel to Scotland and then to see just a handful.

Heading down the northern side of the zoo we ticked off Musk Ox (something I have been dying to see for about 5 years now), Mishmi Takin (come on its just not fair I struggled to count how many, send some to the UK please), Golden Takin and Kiang.

Again lovely open enclosures, you really could not get a better views of the animals.

Japanese monkeys in a spacious enclosure (not on the map for some weird reason). Pheasant house (or houses more like it) real treat and real quiet part, even though it was quiet all day.

Crocodile house was a real highlight, not sure I have seen anything like it. Would love to see it replicated larger (sure someone will point out where its been down).

Sun bears (o'dear) what did this house previous or has it always had bears in it?

Rest of the afternoon was re-visiting places, I know it sounds like with missed a lot in the middle we did visit the places just main draws for me are situated around the outside.

Going to rate it, well why not

9 out of 10

why the rating, loved it great offering of species on view for most people to be happy. The feel of the places is just different from other places. I would recommend anyone going to Berlin to visit.

And well its value for money, stupidly cheap.

The bad points (and every zoo has them) are minor (IMO) probably doesn't get 10 out of 10 for the no-show generuks..........only joking its for you really need a dry and mild day to visit, not enough cover (we were lucky) if the weather is wet and cold.

(Sorry if there is some bad English, just very tired now and well once start I may as well finish)

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Worth noting that these are a pure subspecific form :)

At least we have them in the UK :p we don't have any of the other two takin species held there!

I would have to say that "just a handful" is a little bit of an understatement, to be fair; when I last visited in August 2016 I would estimate they had something like 15 individuals at HWP spread over several exhibits.

It used to hold great apes - so shockingly the current use is an improvement. Certainly the very worst portion of the Tierpark nonetheless.

migdog likes this.
  3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Where are they? Remember seeing a species at Marwell....but not sure which.

Fair enough, I didn't know they had done so well since their move from Blackpool, do you know if they brought more in?

P.S managed to do Zoo Berlin too, will write a little review at some point for it.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Mishmi Takin are currently held at Paignton, Port Lympne and Highland Wildlife Park; this is also the species which was held until recently at Marwell.

The Markhor which came to HWP from Blackpool supplemented a group which had already been present, comprised of stock formerly held at Edinburgh and Liberec, and the resulting group has bred most years since 2010 as far as I recall. I am not sure whether or not any further imports took place.