Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Wild Indonesia Development

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZooBoyNZ, 25 Apr 2017.

1. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Construction of the largest single development in Auckland Zoo's history, 'Wild Indonesia' begins late this year. I thought that I would make a new thread for this where we can post updates, photos and share our thoughts/discuss this new exciting precinct coming to the zoo. This will also ensure the current Auckland Zoo news thread for 2017 doesn't become too large. :D I am aware there are a few other threads about Auckland Zoo's development plan, but I decided to create a new one specifically just for this development.

Wild Indonesia covers the area in the zoo from the tigers to the orangutans, and will see the demolition of at least the old tiger 'pit' enclosure, former meerkat and chimpanzee exhibits, and current orangutan enclosure. Species confirmed to be in the new precinct are Sumatran tigers, Asian Small-Clawed Otters, Siamang Gibbons and Orangutans. (Sumatran Orangutans likely to be imported from overseas) Hopefully a few more species will be included as well.
    On the zoo's 'Nearer to Nature' 10 year plan, it shows construction starting next year and finishing in 2020! However on Studio Hanson Roberts' website (design company behind the precinct), it says anticipated opening 2018, and various posters in the zoo say that work will start late this year. I really hope it's the latter of the two options!

I am really interested to hear all of your thoughts on this exciting new development, like what other species you want to be incorporated, what you hope exhibits will be like etc. :)

- ZooBoyNZ

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What other species could realistically be imported for this development?

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm just wondering whether they have enough geographically appropriate bird species in New Zealand to include in this development. Possibly Green Peafowl, Red Junglefowl, Silver Pheasant?

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Komodo Dragons
    Rusa Deer
    Javan Langurs
    Bali Myna
    Tree Kangaroo
    Hornbills
    False Gharial

There are lots of species that would be cool to see. I will enjoy this thread.

5. ZooBoyNZ

Crab eating macaques, tomistomas and rhinoceros hornbills were in a few concept plans for the development. Obviously dependant on budget and if there would actually be any of these species available to be imported into New Zealand. Auckland Zoo have a group of macaques (bonnet?) which until recently have been off display. It's possible they will get a new exhibit in 'Wild Indonesia'.

Personally, I think fishing cat would be an ideal species for the development; the theme the zoo are going for is a 'flooded forest' and I think fishing cat would fit this incredibly well. Hamilton Zoo currently have 0.2 fishing cats, and they plan to import a male sometime this year from Europe. So it's quite possible for Auckland to get this species.

I like your list @FunkyGibbon, Rusa deer would be great!

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

no green peafowl left in NZ, but we do indeed have chickens. There are a number of parrots, finches and pheasants which would be suitable (either specifically or generally, i.e. Asian rather than Indonesian).

7. Chlidonias

Komodo dragons are a possibility. Rusa are in NZ so could be used (but no "proper" zoo here seems to want deer any more).Javan langurs won't happen. The others are immediate non-starters, despite what may be in "plans".

8. Chlidonias

in terms of suitable species (i.e. relevant to the theme, not necessarily relevant to plans) you'd really just be looking at primates, cats, and Komodo dragon. I think that's about it.

9. FBBird

Pretty sure there are no hornbills available in NZ either!
    If they widen it to a generalised Asian theme, they could put Mandarin Ducks in it. Really needs some birds for balance. I'd say herps too, but snakes of course are out of the question......

10. FBBird

Chickens, Chli? Do you not have even an approximation to RJF?

11. Chlidonias

my quoted post was about what could be theoretically imported. Hornbills are neither in the country nor able to be imported.

12. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think beyond the stated species (orang, siamang, tiger, otter), Komodo dragons and fishing cats are strong possibilities, and potentially another primate. I have a strong feeling that Auckland's bonnet macaques have dwindled to a smaller number, and are unable to breed anyway, so if they did decide to incorporate them there would need to be a replacement species in the relatively near future anyway. There will not be the space for deer in the exhibit footprint anyway, but I very much doubt Auckland would ever hold deer again (Hamilton is a proper zoo with deer, though really only as a filler).

I hope birds will be included in some form, even a smallish aviary or two with pheasants and Java sparrows and/or a parrot species would be appreciated. Auckland has had success with recent aviaries (Australian and African), so may consider adding some to this development, especially if they are serious about diversity. Apart from the dragons, they are very limited on Asian reptiles, although they would be able to get some box turtles I think, which could make a good display tacked on to a viewing shelter (and would be useful for education about the massive threats to turtles in Asia).

The species I'd most like to see added would be binturong, but this would require importation (potentially from Singapore) and a lot of paperwork, so is extremely unlikely at best.

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  13. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Seems very exciting development; is this a first of its kind (Wild Indonesia) for all zoos World-wide (excluding zoos in Indonesia)?

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think Fishing cats are a very real possibility down the line. With two young females and a male due to arrive later this year, Hamilton Zoo will hopefully see kittens next year which could supply Auckland Zoo. It'd be nice if other zoos in the region take up holding this species, besides Hamilton and Taronga, as the diversity in cat species (big and small) has drastically decreased in the region's zoos since the 1990s.

It'd be equally as nice to see Komodo dragons in the four New Zealand Zoos. I think most of the Australian Komodos are siblings so an import from outside the region would be needed if there is not a surplus in Australia.

If it was widened to a generalised Asian theme, I'd love to see Temminck's Golden Cat return to our region. Another small cat species that has been lost from our regions zoos. Many zoos seem to give up on this species when the pairing of a single male and female had failed. After Melbourne, Auckland was actually the most successful in breeding these cats

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  15. zooboy28

No, there are many other exhibits that showcase Indonesian species in Australasia, Europe and North America. Perhaps few call their exhibits "Indonesian", but Prague at least does.

StoppableSan and Nikola Chavkosk like this.
  16. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Seeing as Komodo dragons have recently been added to MPI's Import Health Standard for zoo lizards I think they're a real possibility. Along with the new native section and the lace monitors it seems like the time would be ripe for an Auckland trip.

Kifaru Bwana and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  17. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Reticulated... wait. Never mind.

zoomaniac likes this.
  18. ZooBoyNZ

I saw that this article has already been mentioned in the Auckland Zoo 2017 news thread, but I thought I would quote something from it here as well. Construction of "Wild Indonesia" is due to start in a few months time, and the precinct is confirmed to feature orangutans, siamang gibbons, tigers and otters as well as species of reptiles, fish, and invertebrates.

19. zooboy28

Will be interesting to see what species of reptile, fish and inverts they display, its unclear what they would be, and how extensively they would be displayed. Its kind of a shame birds are ignored too apparently, given there are obtainable options (parrots, etc.) that could be displayed.

FBBird and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  20. FBBird

At the very least, they could do Silver Pheasants (probably not the right subspecies, but .....) with Java Sparrows. Separate aviary with whatever parrot species seems most appropriate, maybe with Red Junglefowl or the nearest to that, that is available. Probably no geographically appropriate waterfowl in New Zealand aviculture.