Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo German Zoos

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Nigel, 14 May 2007.

1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

For those of you who can sprechen ze deutsche or can understand German , I have found a website of zoos in Germany and Austria and Switzerland and France ..... there is also a limited amount of information in English

The site is ► Zoo-Infos.de ◄ - The German Zoo Database

I knew that Germany had more zoos than NZ/Australia combined , but didnt realise there were THAT many !!

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Some of the German zoos have some of the best large animal collections around and a long history of animal collecting in the wilds.

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

.......;which is why I think it is good for this forum to have input from our European members ( providing that the material is kept relevant to the thread -- but I am probably as guilty as anyone else with this )
    There may well be animals which zoos from NZ and Australia are phasing out , but for all we know , the same species may be thriving on an SSP in the European or North American Zoos -- snowy winters or otherwise .
    My guess is that they dont have the strict Australian ( and the draconian NZ ) biosecurity laws , and can also have a larger range of animals , and as distances are alot shorter , there will be less transfer costs between zoos ....

To those of you who have ready access to zoos in Europe , keep up writing in the forum -- just use a new thread if need be ....