Join our zoo community
blospz

Elephant Exhibit

Elephant Exhibit
blospz, 12 Oct 2010
    • DavidBrown
      Does the Seneca Park zoo plan to have elephants in the long term, and if so, will this make it the only zoo with elephants in New York once the Bronx phases out their elephants?
    • blospz
      Yes, I believe they plan to keep their elephants. I think they need to eventually renovate their exhibit to accommodate another elephant since it's AZA's requirement to have three elephants at a zoo.

This would not be the only NY state zoo with elephants. Both Buffalo and Syracuse have Asian Elephants.
    • CuseZoofan
      I believe that they can accommodate another elephant or two with their new exhibit, but I could be wrong. of course I dont think they have any plans of breeding seeing how both of their currents elephants are females and I think they are somewhat older as well.
    • Dallaspachyderm
      No more breeding for these females but, they are expanding the barn to hold another female, and a bull.
    • blospz
      Elephant Exhibit improvements are coming along -- This link shows the progress on the Elephant Exhibit. It almost looks like they are expanding the barriers on the right hand side. I'm not sure how I like this as they're not expanding the current yard, but more separating into pieces. Also, with this barrier, it will take a natural look out of the exhibit. Not that it was too authentic to begin with in the first place.
    • blospz
      Bumped up compare the to the new photo of the updates.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Seneca Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    blospz
    Date:
    12 Oct 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: