Join our zoo community
Mr.Weasel

Large Hairy Armadillo at Tropical World - 02/10/2013

Large Hairy Armadillo at Tropical World - 02/10/2013
Mr.Weasel, 4 Oct 2013
    • Mr.Weasel
      There were a few armadillos in with the douroucoulis, but there were no signs present indicating what species they were. I thought they looked a lot like nine-banded armadillos. If they are, then Tropical World is the only public collection to have them in the UK, besides Amazon World Zoo Park.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Though the photograph quality is too low to be sure, it could well be a Nine-banded armadillo - however it could also be a large hairy armadillo.

I don't suppose you got any photographs showing a side-on view of the head? This would be the best way of determining the genus I feel, as the skull of the nine-banded armadillo looks rather different to other species in Europe.
    • Mr.Weasel
      I don't unfortunately, no. :(

Thank you for your reply though.
    • TeaLovingDave
      I've left a quick comment on the collection's facebook page asking about the matter; if I don't get a reply this might just be the incentive I have been needing to get down there to see the place for myself :p
    • Mr.Weasel
      Haha, great stuff. Please let us know if you get a reply. ;)
    • mrcriss
      That's defo 9 banded. Haven't been to Tropical World in a while….will have to take my niece there soon!
    • lintworm
      why not large hairy armadillo?
    • mrcriss
      Because they have kind of squatter, flatter bodies….whereas this little fella definitely has the body shape of a 9 banded.
    • TeaLovingDave
      I'm still not sure at all - keep meaning to visit to see for myself.
    • mrcriss
      It's a 9 banded. Having worked with both types before, the difference is really clear.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tropical World
    Uploaded By:
    Mr.Weasel
    Date:
    4 Oct 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    152.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 5
    Date / Time:
    2013:10:02 14:13:37
    Exposure Time:
    1/17 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    4.12 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).