Join our zoo community
Ungulate

1972 Planning Map for the Toronto Zoo

This is the site concept for the zoo, made once the site had been selected but before construction started. The "Phase 2" sections never did come to fruition, but the rest of the site is fairly recognizable.

1972 Planning Map for the Toronto Zoo
Ungulate, 6 Sep 2008
kav2001c and UngulateNerd92 like this.
    • Ungulate
      This is the site concept for the zoo, made once the site had been selected but before construction started. The "Phase 2" sections never did come to fruition, but the rest of the site is fairly recognizable.
    • okapikpr
      Thanks for posting the map. Wow a real gem to have in the gallery. I find it interesting that there are no Indian Rhinos in the plan.
    • Meaghan Edwards
      Very cool -- thanks for sharing this with us. Interesting to see how many species the zoo had. The agouti sure had a big enclosure :p
    • kav2001c
      Thank you for sharing, I love to see old maps and plans

But from what I see most of the PH2 was built unless I am missing something
      Australia Pavilion opened
      Mayan Temple (South Phase 2) opened

Only real difference is kids land and amphitheater replaced World of Oceans (which eventually moved to the Australian Pavilion removing Edge of Night)
      As a kid I loved the EoN

Interesting the plan allowed for deer to spread out more in southeast section (close to parking lot and road)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Ungulate
    Date:
    6 Sep 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    363.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1401px
    Height:
    1110px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).