Join our zoo community
okapikpr

1980 Zoo Map

A - Administration & Education Offices B - Open Air Theatre C - Contact Area D - Farm Crafts E - Nursery F - Veterinary Offices G - Seattle Zoological Society H - Education Center (future site) 1 - Giraffes, Zebras 2 - Hippopotamuses 3 - Pheasantry 4 - Marsh & Swamp 5 - Asian Primates (Lion-tailed Macaques?) 6 - Primate House 7 - Ape House 8 - Nocturnal Animals 9 - Draft Horses R - Restrooms X - Exit Turnstiles * - Wheelchair Exit

1980 Zoo Map
okapikpr, 1 May 2009
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • okapikpr
      A - Administration & Education Offices
      B - Open Air Theatre
      C - Contact Area
      D - Farm Crafts
      E - Nursery
      F - Veterinary Offices
      G - Seattle Zoological Society
      H - Education Center (future site)

1 - Giraffes, Zebras
      2 - Hippopotamuses
      3 - Pheasantry
      4 - Marsh & Swamp
      5 - Asian Primates (Lion-tailed Macaques?)
      6 - Primate House
      7 - Ape House
      8 - Nocturnal Animals
      9 - Draft Horses

R - Restrooms
      X - Exit Turnstiles
      * - Wheelchair Exit
    • snowleopard
      The African Savanna had just opened (and won the AZA Best Exhibit award), and the pair of adjacent gorilla enclosures were less than a year old at the time. It's funny how 30 years later those areas of the zoo have been only slightly altered, as the gorilla exhibits have basically been untouched and the Savanna has received a few changes. An African Village, African wild dog exhibit and animal species changes have been the only alterations to this superb area.
      steveroberts likes this.
    • NZ Jeremy
      Eek... Look at the size of that elephant enclosure...
    • Otter Lord
      Wow, this Zoo has changed so much.... Its amazing how much better it is now than this.
    • snowleopard
      Other than 3 outdated grottoes (sumatran tiger, sloth bear, sun bear) probably 90% of the zoo ranges from average to brilliant. The tiger grotto is getting remade into a naturalistic habitat, and then the bears in the future will hopefully also receive new homes. Things are constantly changing in the zoo world and Woodland Park has not been left behind like several other establishments. For example, over 50% of the San Francisco Zoo is over 80 years old!
    • NZ Jeremy
      My missus went to San Fran on her trip to Canada last year... Sounds like most of the zoo is very shabby and even the investments in new areas of the zoo have been poor... Meanwhile she said the California Academy of Science had a fabulous aquatic area and rainforest exhibit...
    • PAT
      And form photos I've seen those grottoes look pretty darn good.
    • Cat-Man
      @snowleopard sadly seems like WPZ has stopped aggressively developing in the decade since your comment. Thankfully the exhibits are of such high quality it doesn’t matter for the residents but is frustrating for us zoo nerds!
      snowleopard likes this.
    • snowleopard
      @Cat-Man It is hugely frustrating to witness the current era of stagnation at WPZ. While zoological behemoths such as Pairi Daiza, Beauval and Omaha have each transformed 50 acres of their grounds into new exhibits, WPZ has remained the same...except for losing elephants, hippos (eventually), a Reptile House and a Nocturnal House. Even some of the once brilliant habitats are looking a tad on the small side (African Savanna, gorillas, orangutans indoors, grizzlies) and between 2009 (penguins) and 2026 (tree kangaroos) that leaves 17 years of not much happening in the way of positive additions. I saw savannas with 80 animals on my recent Scandinavian road trip, while WPZ will have 8 animals on its "savanna".
    • Cat-Man
      It’s sad (although I think the former two institutions mentioned are for profit). The penguins were the last big project I think which I believe was done to a good standard (though you can correct me if I’m wrong). Sadly seems the collection is thinning out - is there anything in the pipeline?
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    okapikpr
    Date:
    1 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    401.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1162px
    Make:
    HP
    Model:
    HP psc1400
    Date / Time:
    2009:05:01 01:10:13

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).