2010: Cologne Zoo

(Mustela sibirica) Siberian weasel

2010: Cologne Zoo
Giant Eland, 27 Sep 2013
German Zoo World and Jonas like this.
    • Giant Eland
      (Mustela sibirica) Siberian weasel
    • TeaLovingDave
      Very nice - sadly I have no idea if this species is still in the collection, as it seems to have completely escaped the attention of ZTL that it ever *was* in the collection :p
    • Giant Eland
      I just checked- It's listed under former holdings at "Köln (Zoologischer Garten)" 2003-2011/12
    • TeaLovingDave
      Ah, so it is; somehow I missed that listing when I checked a few minutes ago. As I think I mentioned to you before, I narrowly missed seeing the species at two out of the three last holdings in the UK :( I'm rather tempted, when hopefully visiting Berlin next year, to pop over the border to visit Poznan, which holds this species along with African Palm Civet and European Mink.
    • Ituri
      In the early 90s, the San Diego Zoo kept this species in the Children's Zoo. Quite nice.
    • FBBird
      2010 Cologne Zoo

These always strike me as far too big to be called a 'weasel' of any sort. Very attractive animals though.
    • Chlidonias
      I've always thought it was an unfortunate name as well. I've only seen stuffed ones, but they are ferret-sized, certainly not what one would expect from the name.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Well, strictly speaking all a weasel is, is a member of the genus Mustela - as such, the Siberian Weasel represents a transitional form between the weasel/stoat clade, which arose in Europe as far as can be determined, and the mink/polecat clade, which arose in Northern Asia.

The interesting point is that the Long-tailed Weasel, Amazon Weasel and Columbian Weasel, despite all being closer in morphology to the weasel clade - and in the case of the latter taxon being the second smallest carnivoran species - are nested within the mink/polecat clade.
    • Nasua
      Right and the former exhibit is now used by south african ratels if I'm well-informed.
    • Bib Fortuna
      Thats correct.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cologne Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Giant Eland
    Date:
    27 Sep 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: