Join our zoo community
natty

23/10/09

23/10/09
natty, 29 Nov 2009
    • snowleopard
      I've just browsed through the zoo's website, and also glanced through all of the photos here in the ZooChat gallery for the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Did this establishment used to be some sort of rescue centre or sanctuary or has it always been a full-scale zoo? I ask because just about all of the enclosures are basic wire cages, and the exhibits often contain wooden platforms that appear to be cheaply made and abundant throughout the zoo. I'm not going to comment on what I specifically think of many of the enclosures, as there are a few decent ones, but I will point out that they seem to have been constructed for a tiny amount of money.

The chimps appear to have a wonderful view from their enclosure, which is great to see in this photo, but their exhibit comes across as woefully outdated even though it is promoted on the zoo's website as one of the star attractions. I'm assuming that this collection suffers from a lack of solid financial backing, and I'd be intrigued as to how the exhibits have progressed in quality over the years since the zoo's formation in 1963.
    • James27
      It's always been a full on zoo and it has wire cages etc as that's what a lot of zoos in Britain have. Also, this zoo is old and the cages have remained. This chimp enclosure is fine, it does look better in person (and I have people to back me up on this statement, it's not just me :p).
    • CZJimmy
      No UK zoo is given the same financial backing from government that some of the US zoos do.

The big ones (Chester, ZSL etc) can generate funds from large gate receipts but for a very small zoo located at the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere then they are going to struggle to make things look "pretty" when the animals needs need to come first.

And please let's not get back into this whole debate again ;)
    • snowleopard
      Thanks Ash and Jimmy, and I'm not looking to start a debate at all. I just don't know that much about this particular zoo and wanted some more info, but why is it that British zoos aren't given financial backing from the government? Most major U.S. zoos receive millions in funding, and yet in Great Britain it appears that the majority of the major zoos are privately owned and at times held together via duct tape and superglue.:) I'm joking with that last sentence, but I'm sure that the zoo owners would appreciate some extra cash!
    • James27
      I don't know why they don't support zoos, but the zoos do ok without it. I guess they just think they have "better" things to use their money on :)rolleyes:).
    • Maguari
      I still think zoos ought to make more of their educational credentials - I'm sure there'd be some Government cash in that if they worked it right.

I've always had a soft spot for Welsh Mountain - it's never been a 'Great' (capital G intentional) zoo but it's a solid enough place with a varied little collection in a part of the world with not much else to offer that side of Chester.
    • redpanda
      I believe the reason british zoos don't receive much government funding is because they are still seen as places of entertainment; a fifty year old view that is all the more ridiculous as both museums and botanical gardens receive millions in grants.
    • zoogiraffe
      You may be joking with your comments but you are not to far off the mark about it been held together with duct tape and superglue,they have to repair a few enclosures each year due to the strong winds that blow in off the sea during the winter,a few years ago one storm blew down the Pine Marten enclosure.Even though the place looks a bit run down I still have a soft spot for it,because on a nice day its got some stunning views from the place!;)
    • Maguari
      To be pedantic, I think the storm blew over a tree in the woodland around the Pine Marten enclosure, which then took the enclosure out as it fell.
    • zoogiraffe
      Take 2 Pendantic points for that,but yes I believe you are right.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Welsh Mountain Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    natty
    Date:
    29 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    273 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    900px
    Aperture:
    f/3.4
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2009:10:23 14:44:13
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).