Join our zoo community
Toddy

Aalborg Zoo - African Village (Pygmy hippo)

The outdoor exhibit for pygmy hippopotami (Choeropsis liberiensis liberiensis) next to the savannah viewing hut in The African Village in Aalborg Zoo. The door in the back can be opened combining this exhibit with the main savannah. The African Village opened in 2006 and is the biggest project in Aalborg Zoo’s history. It features wildlife from the African savannahs and wetlands. July 2012

Aalborg Zoo - African Village (Pygmy hippo)
Toddy, 16 Mar 2013
German Zoo World likes this.
    • Toddy
      The outdoor exhibit for pygmy hippopotami (Choeropsis liberiensis liberiensis) next to the savannah viewing hut in The African Village in Aalborg Zoo. The door in the back can be opened combining this exhibit with the main savannah.

The African Village opened in 2006 and is the biggest project in Aalborg Zoo’s history. It features wildlife from the African savannahs and wetlands.

July 2012
    • snowleopard
      I've seen plenty of pygmy hippo exhibits in American zoos, but very few of them feature the species grazing on grass. It is quite a shocking sight to see this photo, as other than Oklahoma City and a couple of other locations practically all American zoos have pygmy hippos indoors within fake, textured environments. I do know that many European zoos have a standard practice of allowing the species a large outdoor habitat.
    • mstickmanp
      Are Pygmy Hippos also susceptible to eye problems from over exposure to sun light like other large forest ungulates (e.g. Malayan Tapirs, Sumatran Rhino, etc)?
    • Toddy
      Having only seen one North American pygmy hippo exhibit (Toronto) I can't really comment but there does seem to be an abundant number of pictures in the Gallery of the kind of exhibit you describe. Most of the European zoos keeping pygmy hippos I have seen keep them in very nice exhibits.

I have never heard that they should suffer the same kind of problem. In fact, I have often seen pygmy hippos sunbathing even in high summer, preferring the sunny to the shady areas of their exhibits. They also don't seem to be as forest-adapted as the sumatran rhinos and malayan tapirs.
    • OhSnapItsKirby
      The Montgomery Zoo in Alabama keeps their lone pygmy male with the other African hoofstock; Zebra, Kudu, Bontebok, cranes, and storks in a large three acre grass exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Aalborg Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    16 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    331.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1304px
    Height:
    869px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).