Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

African Bull elephant Tembo

Succesful breeding bull, fathered 8 calfs since 1999.

African Bull elephant Tembo
Zebraduiker, 2 Aug 2008
    • Zebraduiker
      Succesful breeding bull, fathered 8 calfs since 1999.
    • MARK
      Great looking bull, eight calfs he has done well
    • Zebraduiker
      He is a great bull, good to the females, calfs and keepers( in protected contact, of course) and an excellent breeding bull.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      Is this Tembo now at Colchester Zoo?
    • zoogiraffe
      If you look at the data for the photo you will see that the photo was taken on the 2/7/2008!!Now Colchester certainly had there Tembo at this point so i would say that there are 2 African Elephant Bull's with the same name!!
    • Tarsius
      "Tembo" is indeed a very popular name for several african elephants, there was a"Tembo" also at Hannover Zoo and Kopenhagen. I'm not sure, but I think"Tembo" means"elephant" in Suaheli.

"Tembo" at Colchester looks much diffrent than "Tembo"in Berlin.
    • jbnbsn99
      Yes indeed Tembo is Swahili for elephant.
    • AnaheimZoo
      So, there are many elephants across the zoo world simply named, "Elephant." :D
    • Tarsius
      So a lot of black rhinos are named"Kifaru" which means Rhino, or some hippos are nemed"Kiboko", which means "Hippo". In europe it is very popular to name african animals that way, or they neme them after african cities, rivers or special areas...Of course names after famous humans or moviieor tv series characters are also very popular.

Sometimes I ask me, how african zoos name their european or american animals, so after eurpean or american cities, rivers or areas ?
    • AnaheimZoo
      Yeah, a perfect example in American pop culture- The Lion King's Simba; he's a lion whose name means lion in Swahili. :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Berlin Tierpark
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    2 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count: