Join our zoo community
geomorph

African Savanna

For details, see my review http://www.zoochat.com/22/review-san-francisco-zoo-158768/#post334582

African Savanna
geomorph, 2 Jul 2010
    • Arizona Docent
      Wow, that looks really nice. Everyone knocks the SF Zoo and I have not been there myself, but this exhibit appears to be quite nice.
    • snowleopard
      I visited the zoo in May of 2006 and I don't think that there have been many changes at all in the 5 years since then. The African Savanna area is 3 acres and very impressive, the 1-acre gorilla yard is now considered average but still much better than what is found at many other zoos, and the Lemur Forest with its curving boardwalk is also quite good. The problem is that much of the rest of the zoo is hugely disappointing, with a terrible seal pool, awful feline house, basic paddocks for pachyderms and a tiny hippo pool. The primate complex is badly outdated and the bear grottoes haven't changed much other than Grizzly Gulch.
    • reduakari
      From selected viewpoints, this exhibit has some really nice moments. But for every beautiful view like this one, there are views of ugly fencing, holding buildings etc. It is a very strange mix of "immersion" (like these "kopjes") and straightforward "California coastal" architecture, like the barns and viewing areas.

The basic design, which takes visitors into the center of the exhibit via tunnels, is unique and creative. Too bad so many of the other details that could have made this a truly brilliant exhibit have been ignored or poorly executed.

That said, it is by far the best thing the SF zoo has to offer.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Francisco Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    2 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: