Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

African wild dog exhibit

African wild dog exhibit
Zebraduiker, 2 Jan 2009
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Swedish Zoo Fan
      I like this exhibit, since you can come very close to the animals. It's not the best in the world, but it's good.
    • CGSwans
      Are appearances deceptive here? It looks like a determined dog could easily escape this enclosure. The moat is narrow and could be jumped over, and that low fence wouldn't keep a wing-clipped bantam hen in, let alone an African hunting dog.
    • James27
      I thought that too, it is quite narrow and there's not much stopping people getting close to the dogs too.
    • reduakari
      It's a water moat with a sheer wall on the visitor side--probably about a 3 meter wide horizontal barrier (the photo is a little deceptive).
    • James27
      I've seen this in person, I just think it's a very minimal barrier for such dangerous animals.
    • reduakari
      Wasn't it you who thought I was overly-critical of the photo of a puma being led on a leash through the public at RSCC? Pumas kill people every year in North America--I've never heard of a wild dog attacking--much less killing--a person, ever. I've seen similar barriers for wolves at many zoos--they don't jump particularly well, and the sheer wall prevents them from climbing out
    • James27
      Took that a bit personally lol.
      I've worked with both wild dogs and wolves, and I can assure you that wild dogs wouldn't think twice about tearing a person to shreds, they're very aggressive. Wolves are not. And I do think you're over critical of the RSCC, I just made an observation that this seemed like quite a minimal way to keep such dangerous animals contained, that's all.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Berlin Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    2 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: