Join our zoo community
Maguari

African Wolf at Rheine, 03/06/12

[i]Canis lupus lupaster[/i] The single female is the only individual of this recently-reassigned subspecies in Europe.

African Wolf at Rheine, 03/06/12
Maguari, 11 Jul 2012
Goura likes this.
    • Maguari
      Canis lupus lupaster

The single female is the only individual of this recently-reassigned subspecies in Europe.
    • snowleopard
      This is a great photo of an incredibly rare animal, and are there any plans to import a male to encourage breeding?
    • Maguari
      Thanks! :)

They were initially imported from Sharjah as a population that was a mix of North African Golden Jackals (ssp. riparius) and African Wolves - this population presumably having been assembled from animals from different sources before the split was understood.

Apart from this animal, the others are now deceased and they have been replaced with European Golden Jackals (ssp. moreotica) - which are none too common display animals in themselves - and importantly, are breeding.
    • FBBird
      African Wolf

Is this animal in with Jackals, and if so is there a risk of hybrids?
    • Maguari
      I'm not sure if it has ever been with the European Golden Jackals; it killed the male North African Golden Jackal it was kept with, as did the female in a similar mixed* pair at Arnhem!

It was very much separate (in a different part of the zoo) when I took this.

*although not known to be mixed at the time, as they were all believed to be North African Golden Jackals
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Naturzoo Rheine
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    11 Jul 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    268.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).