Join our zoo community
Maguari

Amur Tiger enclosure at Bioparco Rome 15/10/09

One of two small, rocky exhibits. Would be very nice to see them netted as aviaries, actually (much better than having Amur Tigers in them).

Amur Tiger enclosure at Bioparco Rome 15/10/09
Maguari, 19 Oct 2009
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Maguari
      One of two small, rocky exhibits. Would be very nice to see them netted as aviaries, actually (much better than having Amur Tigers in them).
    • Sharak_Jek
      As far as I know now bioparco has three tigers:1 Siberian,2 hybrids.
      The siberian one is a female called FruFru,she was born in 1993 at bioparco.
      The two hybrids are one male and one female:the male is called Tigro he's 20 and came from Croatia in 2005(he isn't visible to the public),The female is called Jasmine was born around in 2002 and she came from Croatia in 2005.
    • colobus
      Dear Maguari,
      I'm greatly frustated from the lack of respect toward historical building in zoos globally. In this case this is particularly true, as Hagenbeck's exhibit are included in any book on the history of museology, while I suspect this should not be the destiny of the aviary you proposed. I think that if the present exhibit (it was designed for leopards, not tigers) is not considered adequate, it should be utilised for another species (says fishing cat)without destroying it.
    • Maguari
      I have to confess to being unaware of the direct link to Hagenbeck. If you check my posting history (particularly in the London and Dudley galleries) you'll find this is a personal bugbear of mine too - my first thought on seeing London's new penguin pool plans was to be annoyed that they are to demolish the 1864 building most famous as Parrot House. I have had to come to the defence of the Casson pavilion on several occasions! You'll notice that even not knowing the full significance, I only suggested modifications, not demolition, because I would fear that if an alternative use c ould not be found they would be demolished. ;)

Bioparco does an admirable job of incorporating the older buildings into the zoo. Vienna as well is excellent for this.
    • colobus
      dear Maguari,
      we in the zoo world are used to consider each exhibit separately from each other. Hagenbeck was the first to assemble single exhibits inside a system of vistas and panorama, as was the case in Rome. That said, one may prefer a larger and greener exhibit, such as the renovated and enlarged lion one in Rome, but I honestly find anything of magic in lions seen closely by a window as in thousands of other zoos. But certainly this is the future for the tigers exhibits in Rome too.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bioparco di Roma
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    19 Oct 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: