Join our zoo community
m30t

Arctic Wolf Pack

The pups are not exactly little anymore

Arctic Wolf Pack
m30t, 2 Jan 2019
    • cypher
      Wow, they have grown quite a bit. Get shot.
      m30t likes this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Does anyone know if Toronto has genuine Arctic Wolves or are these the usual zoo-mix "Arctic Wolves"?

~Thylo
    • m30t
      @ThylacineAlive I don't have an answer for you on that. If it helps, I think that the breeding male came from Parc Safari in Quebec (on the chance that there is any knowledge about whether theirs are genuine Arctic Wolves).
    • ThylacineAlive
      @m30t I'll have to do some digging but there's always the possibility that they are. Europe's last known pure wolf which died a few years back came from Toronto so I'm curious as to the current situation with these wolves.

~Thylo
    • TZFan
      The current wolves do not descend from Toronto's old pack so don't rely on that for any help. It is very likely Parc Safari did give us either Chinook or the girls. I don't think I know where they came from. I know the zoo wouldn't have got them from Calgary, Assinioboine, Vancouver, Safari Niagara, or Zoo Suavage. They all have Greys. I don't think Granby, African Lion Safari or Riverview Park and Zoo has wolves. Edmonton would be the other Canadian contender that I know of.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      @m30t I'll have to do some digging but there's always the possibility that they are. Europe's last known pure wolf which died a few years back came from Toronto so I'm curious as to the current situation with these wolves.

1.0 Imiq came from Parc Safari and 0.2 Dora and Vera came from Europe but I did not know where, so that comment from @ThylacineAlive was intriguing. Imagine if the girls are actually descended from the early TZ wolves that we "knew"!

So a few days ago I wrote to TZ, and Parc Safari and asked a few questions. Surprised that TZ replied the next morning, and amazed that not only are Dora and Vera descended through a line from Alvar and Debi, who I am pretty sure were originals, but Imiq is also descended from early TZ wolves!

The TZ reply says the girls came from Artis and I have written to them to see if they have any info about their purity. Neither Artis or Parc Safari have replied yet, although both acknowledged. A Netherlands ZooChatter familiar with Artis is on vacation but when he gets back will see if he can find some info on this. There is a long-time keeper who worked with the early wolves and he might know something about their purity, but it will be hard to catch up with him.

After I wrote to Artis I found that Edmonton received 1.0 2-year old Tundra from them in 2014. Presumably he is related to Dora and Vera.

(posting this on the "Births" thread also)
    • TeaLovingDave
      The stock at Artis are hybrids, I believe.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @TeaLovingDave I think @Mr Wrinkly is saying that Toronto sent stock to Artis as some point and the two wolves they received back from them are simply descendants of those animals, not that they're necessarily pure.

~Thylo
      m30t and Mr Wrinkly like this.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      Yes, I know it is highly unlikely they are pure, but it was unlikely that all our current 9-wolf pack are descended from our early wolves when TZ has not bred them for many years.
      m30t likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    m30t
    Date:
    2 Jan 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4200px
    Height:
    2800px
    Aperture:
    f/13.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2018:12:30 12:07:07
    Exposure Time:
    1/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    148 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).