Join our zoo community
zoogiraffe

Arctic Wolf

Arctic Wolf
zoogiraffe, 14 Jun 2014
    • TeaLovingDave
      A.K.A. the Husky enclosure.
    • Pertinax
      Looks like a landfill site with a fence around it.
    • zoogiraffe
      That I feel is a very unfair comment for somebody to make that has never visited and does not know what use this land had before it became a zoo exhibit!!!!
    • Pertinax
      So what use did it have?

I was going to ask what sort of land these new enclosures have been built on anyway. It looks quite hillocky.
    • zoogiraffe
      It previous use was farm land,although the gradients have been changed a fair bit by the digging out ditches around the edges of some of the other exhibits and as a result the middle of the enclosure has been built of alot from what it used to be.

I think given the fact that this enclosure has gone from farm land to this in under 6 months,shows that if this place just took a bit more time and care building its exhibits,this place COULD be a collection that us in the UK to be proud of,but as a result of the throw it up and stack the animals in approach of the owner it isn't!!!
    • Pertinax
      Which is why to me it still resembles 'landfill'. You don't need to visit to know the approach here is as you say above. Everything is rough and ready. However, like anywhere not everything is bad- the Giant otter and some other smaller exhibits look as if a bit more care has gone into them. But essentially for the larger animals and enclosures, any attempt at landscaping has for the most part been bypassed, presumably for speed and/or cost.
    • zoogiraffe
      Actually the Giant Otter enclosure is one that I don't think is that good,due to the things like the pebbles set into the concrete of the pool and the very limited land area that they can use!!

I think most of the enclosures have been landscaped to some degree its just that they never have long enough for the plants to mature before any animal is ever added,due to the fact that as soon as an enclosure is finished here there is always something waiting to go into.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    South Lakes Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    14 Jun 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    400.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2014:03:09 11:14:53
    Exposure Time:
    10/1500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    15.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).