Join our zoo community
keith8404

Area in front of Grizzly Bear exhibit

Area in front of Grizzly Bear exhibit
keith8404, 19 Jul 2017
snowleopard likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Do you have a photo of the actual exhibit itself? I remember a mock-rock blob that was sitting empty on my 2010 visit to Tulsa Zoo but I realize that there was a transformation of the habitat a year or two after my visit.
    • keith8404
      @snowleopard I'll take some more photos of it next time I'm out there. This was originally a polar bear habitat with a deep pool but not a lot of space. The area was expanded to have an area with natural substrate, and the pool was reworked to more of a stream/pool area. It's better than it was, but imho still not as big and stimulating for bears as it should/could be. I had hoped when they reworked it that they would make a connection to the large unused grassy yard (originally for gray wolves) on the other side of the building, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Maybe someday when some of the areas in greater need of updating are finished they'll do that. If so, it could be a great grizzly habitat.
    • keith8404
      @snowleopard The aerial view in the photo I've posted at Tulsa Zoo - "Life in the Cold" building and Grizzly Bear habitat shows the current habitat on the right side of the building. The bottom half of the exhibit is the original polar bear habitat. The top half is the newer addition, which basically doubled the size of the exhibit. As you will see there is a large space, including a fenced yard, above the building. This is the old wolf exhibit area that I believe could be used to greatly enlarge the bear's area. There is a service road to the building, but it seems his could be dealt with by a connection either over or under the road (being able to see the grizzly walk over it on a land bridge could be pretty cool!) and of course installing proper containment fences around the area, leaving the road corridor between.
    • snowleopard
      @keith8404 Thanks for all of your information! Tulsa Zoo's Grizzly Bear exhibit expansion reminds me of what San Francisco Zoo did with Grizzly Gulch, taking an older grotto and expanding it to include a much more modern habitat.
      keith8404 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tulsa Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    keith8404
    Date:
    19 Jul 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1,001.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1632px
    Height:
    1224px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Date / Time:
    2017:07:13 13:44:05
    Exposure Time:
    1/1721 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 32
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).