Join our zoo community
jbnbsn99

Asian Elephant

Asian Elephant
jbnbsn99, 23 Aug 2009
    • snowleopard
      I'm quite surprised that there haven't been stiffer regulations from AZA in moderating zoos that keep single elephants. San Antonio was supposedly going to bring in another elephant ages ago. Sad.
    • Jacobea
      I hope they do eventually, although this exibit doesn't look like it could hold more than two or three elephants that comfortably.
    • jbnbsn99
      Well they are slated for a new elephant exhibit sometime in the next few years, but that will be for Africans. Maybe the other Asian that is being held by the guys who just got 2 confiscated will go here.
    • DavidBrown
      What is the current elephant situation with the San Antonio Zoo? Do they still have plans for a new elephant exhibit or will they eventually go elephant-less like Gladys Porter Zoo did?
    • jbnbsn99
      I wish I knew. They've talked about Africa Live 3 for years now, but it doesn't look like it's a possibility in the near future.
    • jayjds2
      (I know this is a lot later) Lucky is still alive at a ripe old age. When she passes, the zoo will be expanding the habitat a little bit (that's what I heard) and then bringing in African Elephants.
    • DavidBrown
      @jayjds2 Is there any further word on elephant plans for San Antonio Zoo?
    • pachyderm pro
      @DavidBrown Nothing regarding the new exhibit for Africans has been released. However, last year the zoo did a small renovation the on the paddock above and brought In 2 more elephants from the now closed Ringling Brothers & Barnum & Bailey Circus.
    • jayjds2
      @DavidBrown what I did not mention in the post above is that there are also tentative plans to still keep Asian elephants. Their exhibit would be part of an Asian complex on currently undeveloped land. There is no timeline for any of this. Currently, the zoo is focusing on a series of minor renovations. The pictured exhibit was expanded (increasing the space by about 33%, I believe) and trees were added. Another one of the more major renovations was the lion exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Antonio Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    jbnbsn99
    Date:
    23 Aug 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    245.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.4
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK Z730 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2009:08:18 11:11:20
    Exposure Time:
    1/750 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    5.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).