snowleopard

Asian Forest Sanctuary - Elephant Enclosure

April 17th, 2010.

Asian Forest Sanctuary - Elephant Enclosure
snowleopard, 18 Apr 2010
    • snowleopard
      April 17th, 2010.
    • snowleopard
      In the zoo's strategic plan (just released about a week ago) the zoo has admitted that it is considering phasing out its elephants. The two elderly females are both approaching 50 years of age, and both have apparently been difficult to work with in the past. I've had a keeper tell me at an elephant talk that one of the females "attempts to kill a keeper at least once a week". Indian rhinos are the targeted replacement for the elephants at some point in the next decade and that would keep the Asian theme of this part of the zoo intact. The zoo simply does not have the resources to add more elephants as AZA is recommending that zoos have at least 3 females, and also there is not $40 million for a multi-acre expansion of the habitat.

The number of northern zoos that have phased out elephants has grown exponentially during the past 15 years. Detroit, Philadelphia, Lincoln Park, Alaska, Omaha and Brookfield (amongst others) all no longer have elephants (although some might again in the future), and Bronx and now Point Defiance have announced intentions to no longer showcase elephants in the future. Edmonton and Toronto are also debating whether or not to send their elephants away to institutions in warmer climes.
    • DavidBrown
      I was a bit surprised to learn that Tacoma's elephant exhibit may be phased out as the barn and exhibit seemed to be relatively roomy from what I remember. I last visited in 2000, so my memory may be faulty on this. What would keeping more elephants entail...expanding the barn and adding more yard(s)?

In a related large mammal question, do you think that belugas will ever come back to this zoo?
    • snowleopard
      There is not really any space for an expansion of the Asian elephant yard, plus the two elephants currently at the zoo are very old and angry at humans. The barn and yard are okay in terms of size for two elderly females, but a breeding herd would be short on space. AZA-accredited zoos are switching to herds of at least 3 females and paddocks that are usually at least a couple of acres in size and the enclosure at Point Defiance is nowhere near that big. I'm actually quite excited to have Indian rhinos arrive within the next 5 years or so as Point Defiance has many species that are quite rare in North American zoos and so one more will be added to this list: polar bear, muskox, sea otter, walrus, red wolf, clouded leopard and 2 aquariums!

There have been vague plans to bring back belugas to the zoo, but I sincerely hope that does not occur as the pool is a great size for the 5 harbor seals currently in it but the space requirements for beluga whales would be sadly lacking.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    18 Apr 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: