Join our zoo community
Jihoon Lee

Aye-aye in Ueno zoo

Ueno zoo is the only zoo in Asia, we could see Aye-ayes. There are 10 Aye-ayes in Ueno zoo, thanks for the sucessful breeding. The name of the Aye-aye in this photo is "Hitchcock". Hitchcock came from the San diego zoo in November 17th, 2011 as the animal exchange for the breeding.

Aye-aye in Ueno zoo
Jihoon Lee, 10 Mar 2013
    • Jihoon Lee
      Ueno zoo is the only zoo in Asia, we could see Aye-ayes. There are 10 Aye-ayes in Ueno zoo, thanks for the sucessful breeding. The name of the Aye-aye in this photo is "Hitchcock". Hitchcock came from the San diego zoo in November 17th, 2011 as the animal exchange for the breeding.
    • Blackduiker
      I was only able to see this species once, and that was at the San Francisco Zoo back in 2002. No sighting of them on my visit to the San Diego Zoo last year.
    • kiang
      10 seems a lot to keep in one place, any chance of exporting some animals to Europe or USA?
    • zoomaniac
      That's what make's me wonder too. I bet it is a mistake/typo.
    • vogelcommando
      Thank you Jihoon Lee for this photo and the information. Do you have more information about the Tokyo aye-ayes ( number of founders and orgin - wild or captive-bred - dates of births at Tokyo, exchanges with other collections next to San Diego and so on ). Any information about these strange creatures would be very welcome and again thanks for sharing this with us !!!
    • kiang
      I think i am right in saying that the original pair of aye-ayes came from Madagascar along with a pair of gentle lemur.
    • Jihoon Lee
      Ueno zoo's Aye-ayes were first came to Japan in 2001 from Tsimbazaza Zoo, Madagascar. In that time, only a pair of aye-ayes were arrived to Japan but nowadays the population increased up to 10 aye-ayes because of the successful breeding programs and exchanging aye-ayes with other foreign zoos.
      Ueno zoo is having a good relationship with San diego zoo. I don't know all about the animal exchange between Ueno and San diego, but animals like Okapis(San diego to Ueno) had been traded.
    • ShonenJake13
      Does anyone know the names of the other aye-ayes at the zoo? I know of three; two males Hitchcock and Mafi, and female Tiergarten
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Ueno Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Jihoon Lee
    Date:
    10 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    44.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    400px
    Height:
    244px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).