Join our zoo community
toto98

Baby mountain Tapir (Tapirus pinchaque)

This is Mayo, a baby male mountain tapir which is now being hand raised at the Cali Zoo. Hopefully he will bring hope to the survival of the species in captivity in the near future.

Baby mountain Tapir (Tapirus pinchaque)
toto98, 29 Jan 2015
    • toto98
      This is Mayo, a baby male mountain tapir which is now being hand raised at the Cali Zoo. Hopefully he will bring hope to the survival of the species in captivity in the near future.
    • LaughingDove
      Nice photo of a very rare and nice species
      :)
    • mstickmanp
      I was very lucky to have been able to see a Mountain Tapir calf at the Los Angeles Zoo back in 2007. Personally, I think they are probably the cutest of all tapir calves.
    • vogelcommando
      Very nice picture of this rare species, thanks for sharing toto98 ! Was it captive-born at Cali or a young found in the wild ?
    • carlos55
      Excelente fotografia toto98
    • Kifaru Bwana
      I seem to have a vague recollection of Cali Zoo having the only captive mountain tapir of South America and LA Zoo / AZA loaning out an individual in the hope the newly formed pair might breed and give the very small genetic base of the captive population a well needed boost. Might this tapir calf be the net result of that endeavour? :confused:
    • mstickmanp
      If I can remember correctly, I believe a pair was actually sent down to the Cali Zoo from LA. If this calf is the result from the pair that went down there then that's great news!
    • Bib Fortuna
      How many mountain tairs remain at L.A., and are they still breeding ?
    • mstickmanp
      Unfortunately I don't know the answer to those questions.
    • toto98
      Just to clarify a little bit, and I´m sorry I didn´t say this when I originally posted the picture, but the baby is wild born. I don´t know the full story but apparently someone killed the mother and then saw the cub, so it took it to the environmental authorities which later sent it to the zoo. Hopefully now that he is completely unrelated to other mountain tapirs there might be a chance of giving the genetic boost that the species needs in captivity.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoologico de Cali
    Uploaded By:
    toto98
    Date:
    29 Jan 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    811.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1504px
    Height:
    1000px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D70s
    Date / Time:
    2014:12:19 08:37:25
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    Focal Length:
    48 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).