Join our zoo community
Javan Rhino

Barasingha or Sambar

Can anybody better at ID'ing deer species help me out with this one - I watched more Lion King than Bambi when I was young, which is my way of saying I know far more antelope than deer :p

Barasingha or Sambar
Javan Rhino, 30 Jul 2012
    • Javan Rhino
      Can anybody better at ID\'ing deer species help me out with this one - I watched more Lion King than Bambi when I was young, which is my way of saying I know far more antelope than deer :p
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I'm no expert when it comes to deer, but I'd say Barasingha.
    • Pacarana
      Those are sambar.
    • khakibob
      This stag is "not" from any of the sub species of sambar !

Is there any sambar in any collections in the UK? I'm asked this often by people wanting to keep them there. I believe they were tried in Ireland but failed to establish.

Is there still any rusa in the UK? I believe Woburn had Javan's.

Javan Rhino,we all use antelope incorrectly most of the time for lack of a better name ,but the only real antelope is the Indian Blackbuck, (Antelope cervi capra).

Cheers Khakibob
    • bongorob
      Woburn have Javan Rusa (Timor Deer) and several collections keep Prince Alfred's or Philippine Spotted Deer in the UK. Javan Rhino, I can't identify your deer, but I'm guessing barashinga.
    • khakibob
      I didn't know there was Cervus alfredi in the UK. Wish we had some.
      Groves & Grubb had them removed from "unicolor" sometime in the 80's & made their own species "alfredi". Deer tragics like myself still like to think they're a sambar though. lol

Has any collections had them cross with the javans? Just curious as the rusa's & other sambar's produce fertile offspring when crossed.

Cheers Khakibob
    • Javan Rhino
      Never thought of it that day - suppose I should say I'm better at bovidae than cervidae :p
    • Maguari
    • Maguari
      [pedant mode] Blackbuck are Antilope cervicapra [/pedant mode]

But your basic point stands - 'antelope' is a very generalised term with no real taxonomic meaning other than 'bovids that we don't call cattle, sheep or goats'.
    • Chlidonias
      actually his basic point doesn't stand at all. He appears to be rather explicitly saying that the only "real" antelope is the blackbuck because that is the only species in the genus Antilope, which is like saying that the only "real" elephant is the Asian elephant because that is the only one in the genus Elephas. Or, doing it the reverse way, that sambar aren't "real" deer because they aren't in the genus "Sambar". (I could probably come up with better examples, but those are just "on the go" as it were).

"Antelope" is a completely correct collective term for (as you say) Old World bovids that aren't cattle, sheep or goats. It is a generalised name, but that obviously doesn't mean that kudu, for example, aren't "real" antelope. His point does not have a leg to stand on I'm afraid.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Port Lympne Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Javan Rhino
    Date:
    30 Jul 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: