Join our zoo community
Newzooboy

Bear Enclosure - Heythrop 2003

Bear Enclosure - Heythrop 2003
Newzooboy, 26 Aug 2008
    • Animal
      Black bears with polarbears. Does this combination of spicies still exsist?
    • Maguari
      It did last year at the open day. Singletons of each.
    • Animal
      I looked it up, it's 0,1, "Zina".
      I was just a bit suprised, because I thought there were no more polarbears in britain (exept for mercedes).
    • Maguari
      There are indeed two UK Polar Bears:

0.1 'Mercedes' at Highland
      0.1 'Zara' at Heythrop

Of course, 'Zara' is not on full-time display, only at the occasional open days.
    • jerseygorilla
      Do Heythrop still have the Polar Bear?

Also, does anybody know when the next open day is?
    • Joker1706
      Intersting photo ! By the way, the water looks like a Hotel-Pool ! I am not sure, if this will be the best for the bears...
    • blospz
      I agree, the bright blue water reminds me of Marineland or SeaWorld. But I guess it's better than really gross, unclean water...
    • Wandering
      The polar bear is still at Heythrop. Also, the water itself is clear, it's just the bottom/sides of the pool that are coloured blue.

The next open days will be in September.
    • John Dineley
      It's filtered. Much better than the bear swimming in own urine and faeces. As pool bear pools go it looks very large and also deep. The animals can also get up on the water fall area which is a clever bit of enrichment.

As to the mixed bear species, Flamingoland did this years ago. From the bears point of view the company would probably be welcomed. Although it should be noted that polar bears tend to live solitary lives outside breeding and rearing cubs.

Bear in mind (no pun intended) this is also a private collection of animals used in film and media which also makes it even more impressive to my mind.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Heythrop Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Newzooboy
    Date:
    26 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    72.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1177px
    Height:
    777px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).