Join our zoo community
zooboy28

Brooklands Zoo

Conure (not sure which species) in the walk-through aviary. Photo 2008

Brooklands Zoo
zooboy28, 8 Aug 2010
    • zooboy28
      Conure (not sure which species) in the walk-through aviary.

Photo 2008
    • Benzoo
      It's a Nanday Conure (Nandayus nenday).
    • zooboy28
      Oh right, thanks for that, I don't think I have seen any of them in any of the main zoos in NZ, although the parrot place in Kerikeri might have them.
    • Benzoo
      They were imported in thousands every year from Argentina and Paraguay to Europe in the 80-ies in the pet bird trade and were very cheap to buy, but now they are a rare sight.
    • zooboy28
      I see, I wonder how the wild population coped? According to the ZAA census there are only 4.2 left in Australian zoos, and none in NZ, so they must no longer be at Brooklands either. It does suggest that they are reasonably common as pets still though.
    • Benzoo
      They are, and has always been, very common in their natural environment despite the extensive trade.
    • Chlidonias
      NZ never had the huge bird imports that Europe had (probably because of our small bird-keeping population), and imports have been totally off the cards for many years now, but nandays are still quite commonly available in the pet trade in both NZ and Australia.
      relatively few facilities in NZ and Australia are members of ARAZPA (or ZAA as it has now rebranded itself) so there being none listed for NZ and only 4.2 for Australia doesn't mean much. Very few Australasian organisations contribute to ISIS either.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Brooklands Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    zooboy28
    Date:
    8 Aug 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: