Join our zoo community
cypher

Brush-Tailed Bettongs

Nearly missed this guy hiding in the corner of the Australasia Pavilion.

Brush-Tailed Bettongs
cypher, 20 Nov 2013
Jonas likes this.
    • cypher
      Nearly missed this guy hiding in the corner of the Australasia Pavilion.
    • TZFan
      Great pic of a hard to even find animal much less get a photo of. Gold star for Cypher.
    • mstickmanp
      Are they by themselves or in a mixed exhibit?
    • Jabiru96
      Mixed with southern hairy nosed wombat I believe.
    • cypher
      Indeed, it's a mixed exhibit.
    • arcticwolf
      The brush tailed bettongs are not only mixed with the wombats. They also share their home with swamp wallabies, a red necked wallaby, and short beaked echidnas.

This is a great picture by the way. I'm glad you were finally able to see one!
    • cypher
      Thanks arcticwolf. I would've missed him if my brother never pointed him out. Next I'm hoping to see the Short Beaked Echidnas, which I've yet to see.
    • TZFan
      Its amazing the number of times one can visit the zoo and still have animals they need to check off their lists. You could go every day and likely still find something new to discover or see for the first time.
    • cypher
      Indeed, I have yet to see the beavers out of there little den.
    • TZFan
      Oh I've never ever seen them out. Luckily I live in a place where seeing a beaver on a like is a somewhat common occurance. Being able to see lots of those kinds of animals in their natural setting certainly frees up my time at the zoo. I can see deer, elk, moose, beavers, black bears (I prefer never to see them so I dont have to worry as much about my dog becoming lunch but I've seen a huge male with a paw 8 inches across... we measured a footprint... and a female with 4 very small cubs), herons, loons, wood ducks, foxes, coyotes, wolves (again I dont like to see them or hear them for the same reason as bears), bald and golden eagles, red tailed hawks, opsrey, turkey vultures, troublesome racoons, skunks and porcupines. I even saw a barred owl one day in my yard... unfortunately it was super icy out and by the time I could get a few feet towards him with a camera my sliping and sliding scared him off before I could get a good shot.

I've also seen a wild snowy owl but that was when we lived in Mississauga and I was a kid. Middle of summer and theres a big snowy owl perched in our big green maple tree. So cool.

My favorite thing to see though is the heron. We usually dont see unless hes flying overhea but we had a big dug pond for six years with koi in it. Every Thanksgiving like clockwork he would come land in the yard and try to eat all the fish. Its sad to watch your beagle spaniel cross go ripping after it only to get close and stop dead in his tracks thinking holy crap when he realizes just how tall they are. THe funniest thing was the year we filled the pond back in because it just wouldnt hold water and he came in to land and turned his head to look back where his pond should be and almost crashed into the trees. He still seems to come by every fall just to check and see if the yummy koi are back.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    20 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    207 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    915px
    Aperture:
    f/5.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2013:11:19 11:27:10
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 2500
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).